Laptop key coming off, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

starkmann

Baseband Member
This is kinda dumb but through carelessness of my own my in-laws dog stepped on my laptop keyboard. now my right shift key is sitting funny. At first it looked like it was on it's way off. I pressed on in, as I recall, I heard a little click. It looked better but it doesn't work very well these days. Is there anything I can do about this? any way to replace the key or the keyboard on a Presario 2200, preferably that costs less than $200?
thanks

Notebook keyboards run around $50 usually.
They can be tricky to replace. A shop will usually charge labor and double the price they pay for the KB.

I assume newegg or some such would have the keyboards, I will investigate further.

aAs for a single key, how likely is it that I'll end up missing the entire key? It seems that when i have played with taking keys off in the past, I had considerably less luck putting another on.

Thanks to you both.

It all depends how the key is actuated. The alpa / numeric keys have a mechanism that looks like those tray tables you get out when company comes over, where the legs on the side look like an X. The top part of the X snaps into the key cap. Longer keys have different set ups. Then there is a little rubber plunger that pushhes down on the contacts when the key is pressed. If the key cap comes off the plunger can get lost. Actually I have found that there really is no short cuts when it comes to PC's. The best way is to do it correctly, and get the kb replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom