defrag slow. REALLY slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Working on an older machine, 700Mhz, 256 MB RAM, 20 GB HD. Upgraded to XP Pro from ME because they wanted to keep all their old stuff as-is. Fine. Upgrade went perfectly, did all windows updates, (after having to nuke Norton because it didn't want to cooperate) and finally going to defrag. Defrag has been going for 3 hours. WTF???? The computer isn't locked up, just crawling. And it wasn't but like 20% fragmented anyway. Everything else has worked good as can be expected for that box. I need a better defrag program. What is free?

Thanks, I'll look into them. I downloaded one from O&O and it seems pretty good, slow as can be too. Wonder if it's the machine not the program?

If you have a small disk that's very fragmented that can hurt a lot too. Especially if there's not much free space.

O&O is one of the best, XP's defrag is no good. I forgot the name of the company that made it. Did this ever finish? Your best bet would have been to perfrom a fresh install, you wouldnt be doing this right now. Was there a way for you to back all the files up or was this the only solution?

It was a rush job and they wanted to keep their existing programs becuase they don't have all the CD's anymore. I wanted to format, but they didn't. O&O was still running when they came to pick it up, so I stopped it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom