I need help (Clearing CMOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
I have had past problems with clearing the CMOS and this time i cant do it. It seems as though i have to keep it off and the button battery off all day. Now i cant even get it to clear.

My mobo is Abit AS8 (forgot model #)
and other than this occurance its been working fine at everything or any problem that i have had.

Did you move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 to 2-3, for a few seconds, then back to 1-2, after you took out the battery? Also did you remember to unplug the system, before taking out the battery?

alexsabree said:
I have had past problems with clearing the CMOS and this time i cant do it. It seems as though i have to keep it off and the button battery off all day. Now i cant even get it to clear.

My mobo is Abit AS8 (forgot model #)
and other than this occurance its been working fine at everything or any problem that i have had.

What is happening that you need to default the Bios? More information would be helpful as I have no idea what you are talking about. Clear the CMOS = reset the bios to default. Why????????:confused:

Re: Re: I need help (Clearing CMOS)

RicoDirenzo said:
What is happening that you need to default the Bios? More information would be helpful as I have no idea what you are talking about. Clear the CMOS = reset the bios to default. Why????????:confused:

why? becuase one time i messed with nvidia ntune and everytime the wecome screen would appear immediatly afterward i would get a green static, and it sucked. After playing with it for hours i finnaly reset the BIOS and that gave me about 10 seconds after the wecome screen to disable ntune and put my system back to normal.

I dont know what the thread-starters problem is, but that is one example.

Copied straight off an Asus technical support guy (pretty similar to what's been said already but now you have an official quote :p)

1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the onboard battery.
3. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
4. Re-install the battery.
5. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.

Re: Re: I need help (Clearing CMOS)

RicoDirenzo said:

dude when your computer crashes because of an overclock you need to clear the cmos. then you start all over again and find out where the problem is. if you are smart about making changes in bios, you can narrow it down to the last couple made. if you go in all willy-nilly changing everything all at once, good luck narrowing it down (although once you get used to your rig it's easy to know what the problem is).
otherwise you will run the risk of all KINDS of wierd gremlins and future crashes.
it's a requirement of a valid overclock. like running stability tests.

like phrantic says below,
this is exactly how i clear mine on a kn9ultra, except i do not have to remove the battery and i leave the jumper for 2-3- seconds. everything else is the same.

I needed to clear my cmos because i made it power up by entering a hotkey on the keyboard... and it didnt work for some reason.

My mobo is just extremely gay.. instead of just leaving the jumper their for 10 seconds.. i have to leave it their for 10 hours!! NO KIDDING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom