new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
been thinking of getting a new raptor 10k hard drive to supplement my 72k. dop those loading times my rig cooks and i think my 72k is a bottleneck, plus i am impatient lol.
is it best to put my os on the 10k along with my games, or leave it where on 72k and put all my games on the 10k and use the 7200 for all the other basic stuff?
if i move os to 10k, do i have problems with my windows registration?
anybody know how much space xp media takes?
basically i am looking for the most beneficial set up with two drives, one existing 72k and one new 10k...
the 10k won't be very big, maybe 74 gb (probably) or a 36.7
suggestions?

I hear a lot of people put their OS's on the raptor. I would get the 74GB, partition it backwards too...

figure everything out in bytes so you end up with a smooooth number for a "games partition" and then a left over partition for windows and its gay programs. (contain the hazard) but you do the OS first..so figure out what would be "left over" and just make that your first partition.

my 250GB is no raptor, but i whipped out a calculator and got perfect 150GB storage, 70 GB games, and like 12.567 OS partitions.

oh yea...and any kind of aim, cooledit, photoshop, windows mp, etc programs will fit fine as well. Partitioning is tricky, but you have to work backwards to make the first partion theoretically the left over space. It will give you a total mb's i think...so take that number and subtract (1024 x however many GB's you want for the 2nd partition) = MB's to partition for OS

i gotcha so you make your game/storage partitions first, then what's left over for os.
can you make more than two partitions on a hard drive (i.e. one for the os and the other for everything)?
that's probably a dumb question lol but this aint my specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom