Updating Ram question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudiroth666

Solid State Member
I currently have 1 GB of ram, & I'm wanting to upgrade to 2 Gbs.

My motherboard is an Asus A8V, and the memory are two Kingston 512 sticks (Found here . Wondering if I could just buy the same set to get 2gbs, or what?

Here's the Kingston site that has the ram compatible with my motherboard. There's a part that's throwing me off though, in the comments section it says, "If two dual ranked DIMMs are used, the 3rd and 4th sockets are disabled.". So if I try to use these sticks the 3rd & 4th will be disabled or what??

Or if there's any other ram you guys suggest me getting, I'd appreciate it! Thanks

From my understanding of Dual RAM.
It allows two pipelines to the CPU instead of one.

Both Dual RAM sticks need to be identical, to function properly and to activate the dual channels.

Placing in a third stick (the one you already have) would normally turn all three sticks back to single channel mode. (you cannot run DC mode with an odd number of RAM)

From what I read about the A8X Asus MB, activating the dual channel mode disables the 3rd and 4th socket. So I don't think you can run x2 DC kits.

So I guess your options are, to buy another single stick of RAM, or buy a paired memory kit and use your existing RAM as a fly swat. :D

True. Some motherboards will only allow two sticks as dual channel. So you might be better off getting 2x1GB sticks if you can afford it... If not, I guess there would still be a performance gain from 2GB single channel > 1GB dual channel

Z3N said:
From my understanding of Dual RAM.
It allows two pipelines to the CPU instead of one.

Both Dual RAM sticks need to be identical, to function properly and to activate the dual channels.

Placing in a third stick (the one you already have) would normally turn all three sticks back to single channel mode. (you cannot run DC mode with an odd number of RAM)

From what I read about the A8X Asus MB, activating the dual channel mode disables the 3rd and 4th socket. So I don't think you can run x2 DC kits.

So I guess your options are, to buy another single stick of RAM, or buy a paired memory kit and use your existing RAM as a fly swat. :D

Just wondering, why do they have 4 slots for ram sticks if it disables the 3rd & 4th slots?

Also you say 'single stick'..but I'm talking about a pair of sticks...so I'll have 4 sticks total...??

Cloudiroth666 said:
Just wondering, why do they have 4 slots for ram sticks if it disables the 3rd & 4th slots?
It only disables the 3rd and 4th socket if you are using a DC RAM kit.
You can still put in four sticks of RAM in single channel mode.

Also you say 'single stick'..but I'm talking about a pair of sticks...so I'll have 4 sticks total...??
Four sticks will work, but they will not be in DC mode.

Okay..so you're saying I can't buy the two sticks of 512 ram to make a total of 2gb? My only option is to buy a pair of 1gb sticks?

Sorry just a little confused..You say four sticks will work...but it won't be in DC mode. So if I have four sticks of 512 each...will I get 2gb of ram or not, like WorldIndustries said? I don't really have 200 bucks to drop on a pair of 1gb sticks.

no. single/dual channel has nothing to do with how much ram is availible.
you have the option of buying 2 more 512 sticks, and you will have 2gb of single channel ram.
if you want ddr (dual data rate), aka "dual channel", then you would have to buy 2 1gb sticks of ddr and completely remove your existing ram. then you will have 2gb of ddr ram.

nagasama said:
no. single/dual channel has nothing to do with how much ram is availible.
you have the option of buying 2 more 512 sticks, and you will have 2gb of single channel ram.
if you want ddr (dual data rate), aka "dual channel", then you would have to buy 2 1gb sticks of ddr and completely remove your existing ram. then you will have 2gb of ddr ram.

Ok..that makes sense. I appreciate all your guys' answers but I've got one final question! Do you think it'd be worth the 100 dollars to have 2 gb of single channel ram?? I'm guessing having 2 gb of dual channel would be much better, but I dunno if having a 512 stick in all 4 slots would be practical.

i think it would be worth it, you will still have 2gb.
however, i know that it would be much more beneficial to save an additional 100.00 and get the 2 x 1gb kingston sticks (or see below).
i think that is your best bet, and certainly you will notice a tremendous difference with it versus 1gb.
you will see a performance increase with the 2gb in single channel. however it will not be nearly as significant as running the 2gb in ddr mode.

consider this choice, g.skill ddr400, only 175.00:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231047

nothin wrong with that and gskill is a great brand of ram.
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom