Upgrade assistance needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBurninator

In Runtime
Hello,

I just got a new case for my pc, and while it looks fast as **** (ExtremeEngine 3T), it still can't play oblivion very well, which is the most graphic intense game I've played on this comp.

Here are the specs of the PC:
CPU- skt 754 Athlon 64 3300+ (overclocked to 2.5GHz) w/ stock cooling fan
Mobo- MSI K8N Platinum 754skt
Graphics- NVidia GeForce 6200
HDD- Maxtor 160GB
Drives- DVD-ROM/CD-RW & DVD-RW/CD-RW
RAM- 1 stick of 1GB Dual-Channel & 1 stick of Dell 256MB Single-channel
PSU- 350w

External components:
Speakers- JBL Platinum 2CH
Monitor- HP 17" CRT
Mouse- Logitech USB Laser
Keyboard- MI Internet/Media
Internet- Netgear wireless 54mb/s

I'm mainly looking for more modern setup, but there's so many different items, I thought I'd ask some people with experience with them to see what you guys would suggest.

I'm willing to upgrade anything, except the case, under a budget of $300.

Corey

Basically, you're having the same problem I'm having right now - that socket 754 processor slot. It really doesn't cut it anymore, though it did two years ago; they have stopped really producing them, and at least a 939 is your best bet. I was looking at a similar budget myself, but I had to go pretty well over...

Still though, 754 and a more decent PCI-E graphics card would work wonders, though that 350w PSU might be questionable. Get at least a decent CPU and mobo (depending on your RAM type), and a PCI-E graphics card if you can afford it.

The ram is pc3200 DDR.

I was thinking maybe getting into the AMD AM2 or X2 Dual Core processors, but it looks bad since it's not really in my budget. I might just upgrade to a 939 PCI-E setup and get some more 1GB pc3200's. I'm really hoping to upgrade to PCI-E exclusively, since they're so much cheaper than AGP graphics cards.

Any other suggestions?

Corey

Personally I think a good graphics card or CPU is more important than your RAM at the moment, but that's just my opinion.

True, but a combination of the three would be an explosive upgrade from my current sluggish setup.

I'm really hoping to stay with AMD, despite INTEL's current success with the Core2Duo processors... Smaller companies usually have better products anyway.

well, the socket 754 has to go my friend.
time to put that pony out to pasture. but you have to save some more money...
i suggest going with the set-up above, with the exception of an opteron 165 instead of the 3800. it is a much better overclocker and it is also dual core.
actually i dont know if i like the mobo, it only supports ddr 400...
you may want to use some ddr2 ram. you can get a GB of corsair xms ddr2 800 for about 125.00. the opteron will be about 155.
try to up your budget a little more and you can go to am2, but then you will have to have ddr2.

processor definatly, and if you do that you will need a new motherboard, and then a gpu. If you want good game performance get a Nvidia 7900 or similar.

If you do need more cash for what you want/what we've suggested then i recommend you save abit more rather than spend what you have and then later wish you have waited and got something "a little" better or "the next one up in the range" , you know what im saying ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom