Not open for further replies.

Burn_Cycle

Baseband Member
Right now I am using this computer:
Pentium4 running @ 2.4GHz
Memory:766MB
GeForce 4 MX 440
I'm running XP

Right now I am listening to music, with three other windows open. I type decently fast and made this computer freeze almost had to reboot the FRIGGEN thing. Normally I am researching things... comparing diffent tools or programs w/e i am doing. The point is i have a lot of windows open. But my computer cant handle that type of work. I might be working in a word document or java listening to music... and even have some internet windows open at the same time. I pretty sure that this configuration of a computer (down below) could handle this type of work. But I believe it is overkill... Actually i know it is. My question is what would be juuuuuuuuuust right for lil ol me?

CPU: (Sckt775)Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6400 CPU @ 2.13GHz
1066FSB 2x1MB L2 Cache EM64T
MEMORY: Req.DDR2 MainBoard)1GB (2x512MB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel Memory
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS
HARD DRIVE: 150GB Gaming Western Digital Rapter 10,000RPM SATA150 16MB Cache WD1500ADFD

Feel free to make fun of me in anyway and make suggestions ;) Thanks a lot!!!! O and i am a firm believer in intel... so if your going to send me to amd please give reasons and explanations that my brain can understand.
:D :D

My computer. :) Add a semi-intense (graphic-wise) game, and I do the same thing... 1-2 Firefox w/5-10 tabs, Trillian, web/ftp/mysql/vent server, Outlook/Word, MCE recording TV shows, PC-cillin the CPU hog, UltraEdit for programming (5-10 tabs), Winamp docked in the right corner of my second monitor...playing videos...etc. :) Exactly! Oh wait, I have AMD...and just a single-core...boo!

But...yeah, looks quite decent there!

Honestly though, your current computer should be able to handle the web browser, some music, and Word...(I'd think)... Hmm. Has it ever been reformatted? :p

Vormund said:
My computer. :) Add a semi-intense (graphic-wise) game, and I do the same thing... 1-2 Firefox w/5-10 tabs, Trillian, web/ftp/mysql/vent server, Outlook/Word, MCE recording TV shows, PC-cillin the CPU hog, UltraEdit for programming (5-10 tabs), Winamp docked in the right corner of my second monitor...playing videos...etc. :) Exactly! Oh wait, I have AMD...and just a single-core...boo!

But...yeah, looks quite decent there!

Honestly though, your current computer should be able to handle the web browser, some music, and Word...(I'd think)... Hmm. Has it ever been reformatted? :p

THATS IT!!!! I WAS LOOKING AT DOING THAT BEFORE MY COMP CRASHED!!! Read on and i will give you the full story-
We gave it more RAM as you can see its just not at 512 any more! ;) I give it nice cleanings every once in awhile and i defrag it. I have yet to try Warez Monsters 4 step thing though. Which i just may do. Think that may help?

My computer just crashed a little while ago. It must have got a virus. Its another one of those viruses thats been going around that makes your computer be able to shut down but not turn back on.

Anyways once i get my own computer i will be putting Linux/Ubuntu on it. I will hopefully only have to worry about trojans and this way my computer will fly through whatever i do w/o any troubles... Atleast I hope.

If I said anything but yes to WM's 4-step guide, he'd probably hunt me down...haha! But of course, it's definitely worth a shot. Reformatting is probably a sure-shot thing comparatively, but that means backing up all your data, reinstalling all the apps, etc. I know what a headache that is...:bald:

As far as using Linux, while that's great, I have a feeling they're going to become a target in the near future, too...as we all migrate...!

Vormund said:
If I said anything but yes to WM's 4-step guide, he'd probably hunt me down...haha! But of course, it's definitely worth a shot. Reformatting is probably a sure-shot thing comparatively, but that means backing up all your data, reinstalling all the apps, etc. I know what a headache that is...:bald:

As far as using Linux, while that's great, I have a feeling they're going to become a target in the near future, too...as we all migrate...!

If you don't have enough RAM it causes the computer to freeze right? So 2x512 would surely be enough to run all the applications i would like at once?

Yes, I am surely not looking forward to such things as reformatting my computer. But it will make it act like a new computer... I pray! :p

Linux, I believe that it will be a long, long time from now... probably past our life time. It isn't user friendly, not everyone wants to learn or know how to program and that is where a lot of benefit comes in. It's free which i believe is a great thing, but that's what make people scared of it.

I like it being a minority though.... Because less hackers will be trying to F*** up my computer:mad:considering that about 5% of the computer world are linux users.

Well i would get a better video card, dont get the 7300le, ge at least a gt or higher, and just add more ram and reformat and youll be fine.

You don't need a raptor with that setup. A 7200rpm HDD would be plenty and you could get more space for less. Im guessing this is a pre-built. You could build one yourself if your interested (would be cheaper and would be a fun experince)?

Also i don't know if you play games or not but the 7600gt is the standard for a mid-range card for current games. If not, then the 7300le is still nice since it will take strain off of the cpu for onboard video.

darkop16 said:
You don't need a raptor with that setup. A 7200rpm HDD would be plenty and you could get more space for less. Im guessing this is a pre-built. You could build one yourself if your interested (would be cheaper and would be a fun experince)?

Also i don't know if you play games or not but the 7600gt is the standard for a mid-range card for current games. If not, then the 7300le is still nice since it will take strain off of the cpu for onboard video.

I think I would make my own computer with those new parts. But that is going to cost a lot more money than I have at the moment. Also if I am going to build it by myself I would want someone to supervise me or i might get someone else to build it.

I dont really play many games. When i do they are old ones such as Starcraft, D2, WC3, and maybe HeroesV. I know i wouldn't need the 10,000rpm buuuut its bragging rights that i will have the best comp out of my friends. Also I wouldn't need any more room the 140G. Right now I am using less than 40G. Mainly because it's not my computer but still.

I am thinking about going with the E6300 instead of the E6400... I like the idea of more power, but do you think I am going to notice a difference?
Whatever I deceide to do I will probably $#!† myself because I have been using the P4 or less for so long!!!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom