Bootup Problems / Restarting / Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
I'm having some pretty serious problems with my computer I built. Sometimes (about half the time) when I boot up, I get nothing. On a normal bootup the computer beeps, but I don't get that. The monitor doesn't become active, but instead goes into power saver mode. I don't hear the hard drive or the processor going. The only thing that happens is that my LED's and fans go on. Otherwise, I wouldn't know the computer was on.

My next problem - Sometimes I get random restarts. Occaisonally they happen while Windows XP is booting; occaisonally they happen during regular use. I find it interesting that sometimes I have left my computer on for days without use, but whenever I come back it hasn't restarted. It's only when I'm using it.

Third, and least frequently of them all, sometimes I get freezes. I don't think there's any details I can give about this one, except this also happens during use, but not during bootup.

Most people will jump to the conclusion that my power supply doesn't have enough watts/amps, so I'll list it right here for you:

400W
12V: 25 A
5V: 30 A
3.3V: 28 A

What else could it be? Am I going to have to assume that my power supply is bad, and go buy a new one?

I would begin by eliminating things that could be wrong. First thing to do is run a memory test. You can find one at:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

No I am not a big fan of Microsoft but they do have a great utility. If the memory checks out ok then start looking at power supply.

When did this start happening?

It passed all six of the memory tests. Any other tests I can run that will knock some hardware off the possible problem list?

It's been happening ever since I built the computer. The weird thing is that it comes in waves. Some days, you'd think there was no problem. Then there's some days like today. I tried to turn it on three times, wouldn't boot. Finally it booted, and restarted during XP loading. Then I got into XP, and it froze. Then three more times I tried to boot it up, and it just hung there. Finally, I got it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom