1.44 Floddy drive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
I am building my first computer. I do not want to have to put a floppy inside it, i want to have an external 1.44 drive. My question is do i need an internal floppy to install mobo drivers and all that when first setting up all the software or will a usb floppy drive work. I was just kind of thinking i might need to install drivers on a usb floppy with a cd and the cd rom drivers with a floppy ?

I think the only thing you might need a floppy for is raid drivers. I think they still come on floppies sometimes, someone correct me if I'm wrong. I didn't need one at all when I built my computer. Good thing to, the floopy would have put me over budget :D I think you'll be fine without it.

I salvaged my floppy from a very old computer, works fine.
And yes I didn't buy one thinking I didn't need it- until I had to install the RAID drivers.:eek:

You need a floppy for two reasons: RAID and Bios save. You can only load new or restored bios data from floppy. An external drive is only good if you are runnig in the OS. USB drives are not accessable at POST. BTW they only cost like $15!!!

Building my C2D system tonight and I'm pulling my floppy from my old system to my new. You just never know when you'll you need it.

Ya i know they are cheap i just wanted the room in my case for something else. Sounds like it is one of those things you still need though, terrible that we have to install a whole drive to serve one purpose one time.

Apart from actually serving a purpose (in an emergency at that) there is something I like about having the old floppy drive around.
In this rapid changing world of technology, some things remain.

My current computer is about 6 months old, the floppy drive in it is about 7 years old.

It's like having an old friend.

Salute the floppy.

Hahaha well since you put it like that i almost feel guilty not using my old floppy. It is looking sad now. Knowing its time is almost up. Should i have some sort of service for it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom