Hard Drive Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

bymennon

Beta member
I bought this new 160GB hard drive on Ebay because the description says its compatible with Dell Dimension 4500S systems http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=150039220302&rd=1&rd=1

Now that I've gotten it, it's a Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 (serial# HDT722516DLAT80), and I have mounted it and plugged the cables in and set the jumpers to master and slave (with the old and new HD's respectively), but it isn't working.

When I start up the computer I receive a "Primary Slave Hard Drive Disk Error" and the option to enter setup.

I was wondering if this model Hard Drive is even compatible with the Dell Dimension 4500S and I was sent the wrong one? I went to Hitachi's website and couldn't find the 4500S listed for that particular model. Or perhaps I just installed it incorrectly..

Appreciate any help!

Any HDD will work with any computer.

Take the jumper off the slave drive. Sometimes that causes a problem.

yes hard drives will work with any computer, but this is a Dell we are talking about, and if its dell Expect ANYTHING LOL
Make sure the jumpers are 1st Drive master (NOT SINGLE) and the second is Slave

If that doesn't work you might try setting both hard drive jumpers on "cable select" and attaching the IDE cable accordingly (assuming both drives are on the same IDE header). Attach one end to system board, opposite end to master, and middle connector to slave.

Hmm yeah turns out it can work on this PC, I had the jumper settings incorrect and now I have them set..

Now I'm having trouble formatting the new drive though.. Windows doesn't seem to want me to succeed

Thats dell, and windows, one solution leads to another problem,
post the details of what it is doing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom