Computer not booting past BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

sayaprayer

In Runtime
My PC turns on and gets to the screen to go to the bios, but once it tries to go to windows it just shuts off. I just put a different CPU in and there is a chance it could be bad. If the CPU was broke would that cause the effect I'm getting?

Edit: It's not booting the BIOS. I get to the screen where it gives me the option to press DEL to go into BIOS then it lists my hardware and shuts off.

Sounds like the fan might not be working therefore causing your cpu to overheat and shut off before any damage can be caused. Check and see if the fan is plugged and working and/or make sure the heatsink is properly fastened.

Yes, one clip wasn't mounted. Thanks. Now I can at least get into the BIOS but it won't boot windows still. It recognizes my HDDs and DVD drives. I set the DVD and HDD to priority in the boot menu. I get to the "windows did not shut down properly boot in safe mode" menu. So when I select anything it just restarts from there.

Run a chkdsk /r using the windows install disk. If that doesnt work, run a full repair to reinstall the potentially corrupted os data.

Good advice, bobojuice. I'd try running Memtest too just to rule out the possibility of your ram having a problem. Since you're not getting a bsod it's probably fine but that's the next thing I'd check after doing who bobojuice said.

I'm running a check disk right now. It seems like it takes a really long time. Its been going over an hour and its only like 67% done. Is the normal?

Yeah, the chkdsk takes forever sometimes. Thats why when im doing those i just set it and forget it. Let us know what happens after its completed.

After the check disk I repaired my install... got the blue screen o' death. I'm probably looking at a reformat I figure. Thanks alot of all the help. Any other last minute suggestions?

Did you run a full repair? If not, i'd try it first.

Boot from your cd, hit enter like youre going to install, f8 to agree, then the cd will start searching for previous versions of windows, when it pops up and says would you like to repair hit yes or R or whatever. That'll reinstall the OS files and not overwrite your data. Unless of course you dont mind formatting. If that's the case, i'd say do a clean install.

Yeah I did a full repair. I've already tossed the HDD in another PC and started copying my files over. A full install shouldn't be too painful. Thanks again for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom