Motherboard Standoffs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FourTwenny

In Runtime
Ok so i ordered a new Apevia case and evga motherboard. This being my first build i was quite excited. I had previously read all the info on installing and had everything i needed ready, until i opened my case's packaging.
So the case was suppose to come with everything needed to install a new mobo, screws and standoffs. Apevia only sent out 7 standoffs for me though. Evga 680i requires 10.
Before i go to the good ol' parts store i just wanted to know about quality of standoffs. Are they all generic or are some made cheap ? Are some brass and some gold ? What is going to protect my motherboard from a short circuit the best ?
Also i have a question on fans. I have 4 fan ports, one rear, one top, and 2 in the bottom of the front. The rear holds a 80-120 mm fan so i am going with a 120 there. The top and front support 80 mm fans. There is also a vent on the side. My plan was to have the 120mm blowing inwards, the top fan blowing air out of the case ( seeing how heat rises it just makes sense to me ) and to have both the fan's in front blowing in on my hard drives. Does this make sense ? I am thinking enough air will be able to escape through the vents and the top outwards fan, but like i said this is my first build.
Any help, advise, or even criticism will be greatly appreciated.

Most common standoffs are brass, you can't go wrong with them...

As for your fan question, you want to have your rear 120mm fan blow in fresh air? Good luck with that. I suppose the back of your case is against a wall or something. Seeing as you would have three intake fans and one outtake, there would be a negative air pressure which would result in air escaping through small holes like the PCI vent holes. Air that you might be pumping right back in with that 120mm fan.

Pretty much every system has a 120mm rear exhaust fan. Don't change that I'd say. Just let it blow warm air out that comes off the cpu heatsink. Use the top 120mm to blow air out also. And all of the other fans to suck fresh air in.

I was kind of wandering about having more air going in than is going out. I am starting to think someone needs to just create a mini air conditioner for a pc. Like a window air conditioner except really really small and with some air filters.Smack it in on the side in between the cpu and gpu and you would be set. But till than I'll go with the 120 rear and 80 top out and others in, thanks for the tip.

Sounds good if you're not paying your own electric bill. :D

PLUS.... when you do shut down your "mini ac" it could result in some condensation, and do you really want moisture on your expensive pc parts?

just like in an apartment you would have to have the but end out of the pc, maybe have it tilted on an angel and a reservoir for the condensation to collect. It would take some hard engineering but i think the right person can make it happen. Just look at water cooling, a radiator in a pc 5 years ago would have sounded absurd.

FourTwenny said:
Ok so i ordered a new Apevia case and evga motherboard. This being my first build i was quite excited. I had previously read all the info on installing and had everything i needed ready, until i opened my case's packaging.
So the case was suppose to come with everything needed to install a new mobo, screws and standoffs. Apevia only sent out 7 standoffs for me though. Evga 680i requires 10.

Didn't the mobo come with any screw's and that? Usually they have a little package some where in the box with everything you need :confused:

I think I got those screws with my motherboard and my case! But I believe not every motherboard includes them... or maybe it was an OEM.

No the mobo did not come with screws or standoffs. I got a pack from pc place for $1.50 so no big deal. My case shorted me 3 standoffs but gave me 3 extra screws. Somewhere out there somebody has 3 extra stand offs and is short 3 screws lol .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom