Processor help please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

David-Lightman

Beta member
Hey guys,

Im after some help regarding processors.
My teacher has handed me a list of processors and has asked me to put them in a list from worst to best. I have a list of Intel and AMD processors which need to be listed in order, and in comparission to each other. I.e the AMD sempron equal to the Intel Celeron etc.

If any of you guys could help with this i would be very grateful. I have a rough list i have compiled but wanted to make sure this is right as it for some an assignement i have been set!

Thanks guys!!!

AMD:
ATHLON 4
ATHLON 64
ATHLON 64 X2
ATHLON MOBILE 64
ATHLON MP
ATHLON XP
DURON
K5
K6
K6 - II
K6 - III
OPTERON
SEMPRON
SEMPRON M
TURION 64
TURION 64 X2

INTEL:
CELERON
CELERON A
CELERON D
CELERON M
CORE 2 DUO
CORE DUO
CORE SOLO
MOBILE PENTIUM 4
PENTIUM 4
PENTIUM 4M
PENTIUM M
PENTIUM 2
PENTIUM 3
PENTIUM 3M
PENTIUM 3 XEON
PENTIUM MMX
PENTIUM PRO
XEON
XEON MP

Thanks in advance guys!!

Why not do some research and find the answers yourself? ;)

I'm not real up-to-date on my CPU history, but I can tell you a few.

From what I know, here is my list from best to worst. This may not be 100% accurate, I'll do my best.

Core-2-Duo
Athlon 64 X2
Opteron
XEON
Core Duo
Athlon 64
Pentium 4/Pentium 4M
Turion 64 X2
Turion 64
Mobile Pentium 4
Athlon XP

Well that's about the best I can do. I'm not real sure how accurate that is, but you might have a starting place that you can research upon.

But, this is kind of hard to do. Take, for instance, the Opteron (one of the dual cores) vs the Athlon 64 X2. The A64 is going to beat the Opteron for gaming, but for server needs, the Opty will smoke the A64. So, in a list of Best to Worst...you need to factor in it's application.

Thanks for the reply!

I guess im essentially after two lists then.

One for gaming, and one for everyday work applications such as internet browsing and spreadsheets, and another for gaming.

Is that correct yeah?

if that's the list from worst to best then you are in some serious trouble. any way, we don't do homework for people here. sorry about that but we did our homework (if we didn't it's our own fault) we shouldn't have to do yours too.

by the way, you're not the first to try and take the easy way out on this one: http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105870&highlight=processor+pentium+pro+4+sempron

i'd like to point out that your teacher is an idiot for handing out this assignment given that the models are not completely indicative of performance, we would have to know the clock speeds of every processor to compare them and say which is better....

it's not quite as simple as "worst to best". sometimes it depends on what area you are talking about.

for example, Opterons vs Athlon 64's.
Opterons are good for servers, but are not as well suited to desktop applications due to their need for ECC RAM

But generally speaking, it'd go something like this:

AMD
K5
K6
K6-II
K6-III
DURON
ATHLON 4
ATHLON XP
ATHLON MP
TURION 64
TURION 64 X2
SEMPRON M
SEMPRON
ATHLON MOBILE 64
ATHLON 64
OPTERON (single core)
ATHLON 64 X2
OPTERON (dual core)

Intel:
CELERON - which one? (there are those based on Pentium II's, Pentium III's and Pentium IV's)
XEON - which one? (there are those based on Pentium IV's and C2D's)

PENTIUM PRO
PENTIUM MMX
CELERON A
PENTIUM 2
PENTIUM 3M
PENTIUM 3
PENTIUM 3 XEON
PENTIUM 4M
MOBILE PENTIUM 4
CELERON M
CELERON D
PENTIUM 4 = CORE SOLO
PENTIUM M (yes, I do think Pentium M's perform better than most Pentium 4's. they have a better architecture)
XEON MP
Pentium D = CORE DUO
CORE 2 DUO

keep in mind that the model does not always mean better/worse performance. for example, a 3GHZ Celeron D will smoke a 1.4GHZ Pentium 4

AMD:
K5
K6
K6 - II
K6 - III
DURON
ATHLON
ATHLON XP=ATHLON MP
SEMPRON M
TURION 64
TURION 64 X2 (Turion 64 X2 has some differences which make it better if i recall correctly, improved memory controller and DDR2 support)
ATHLON MOBILE 64
SEMPRON
ATHLON 64=ATHLON 64 X2=OPTERON (in terms of core for core performance, in general the three are pretty much the same. however if we're going to talk about each core type it get's tricky)

INTEL:
PENTIUM MMX
PENTIUM PRO
CELERON
CELERON A
PENTIUM 2
PENTIUM 3M
PENTIUM 3
PENTIUM 3 XEON
CELERON M
CELERON D
MOBILE PENTIUM 4 is the same thing as the P4M
PENTIUM 4
XEON (if we're talking good ol' netburst)
XEON MP (same)
PENTIUM M (presuming a Pentium M Dothan, rather than Banias)
CORE DUO=CORE SOLO (same architecture, equal core for core)
CORE 2 DUO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom