Hmmm Maybe, See yesterday i added up the PC i would love to have,

E6400,
X1950XT,
2GB PC5300 RAM.
Asrock Mobo,
Hiper PSU,
18x DVD ROM,
AKASA ZEN Black Case.

Price = £603 with 2GB Ram, £545 with 1GB (with shipping added up in Basket on scan.co.uk). If i can get £100 from my current pc and if im lucky i might get £100 off my dads salary bonus if he gets it. I i got that i would need to earn £95ish between now and end of february.

Could be possible :p, How much could i Overclock a E6300 and E6400 with 2GB 667Mhz Ram ? i heard not as much as 800Mhz.

Thanks

K M A N said:
Hmmm Maybe, See yesterday i added up the PC i would love to have, [...] Price = £603 with 2GB Ram [...]. If i got that i would need to earn £95ish between now and end of february.

Sounds like a plan :). I'd say go for it. If you don't manage to save the money, you'll just fall back to the cheaper build and upgrade later. Remember the best place to "cheapen" a build is RAM, since adding more is trivial.

K M A N said:
How much could i Overclock a E6300 and E6400 with 2GB 667Mhz Ram ? i heard not as much as 800Mhz.[/B]

Well, in your case I think the most limiting factor is the motherboard. First of all, cheap mobos sometimes don't come with the apropriate BIOS settings to manually overclock (we'll have to check the manual at Asrock's website, if available).

But assuming yours does support manual OC, then the next limitation would be the motherboard's Front Side Bus (FSB). The maximum value that remains stable will depend largely on the quality of the electronic components on the board. In the case of most modern CPUs, OCing is done through a FSB increase, which is a motherboard-dependent parameter.

I guess your question was also about whether 667Mhz will hinder your OCing capacity (as opposed to 800Mhz). The RAM speed is kind of a "ceiling" for the FSB (remember the point of OCing is to get the FSB as high as possible). The normal FSB of a Conroe runs at 266Mhz. DDR2 memory rated at 667Mhz runs in reality at 333Mhz (667/2). So until your FSB starts hitting 333Mhz, your memory won't really represent a problem. With DDR2-800, the RAM starts causing problems when the FSB goes past 400Mhz (already considerable!).

So in other words, DDR2-800 gives you more room, thus allowing to get the FSB (and CPU) at a higher frequency (if the motherboard's chipset allows it). Assuming no overclock on the RAM, your maximum theoretical CPU overclock frequencies are as follows:

clocktablewt3.jpg

This is just a rough estimation. In practice, a lot of things can alter this (for better or worse): most RAM modules (even value RAM) can be overclocked to some extent, the motherboard might become unstable before reaching the maximum FSB value, you may get heat issues preventing you from overclocking further, etc, etc.

I just reviewed my post and I think it's way more complicated (and long) that I originally intended. If you're not familiar with overclocking basics, I'll gladly introduce you to the subject, so that you can make sense of all the numbers I'm throwing at you :).

Thanks again meithan fortunately for you i understand what your chatting about.

Hmm so £603 to save up .... could take a while especially if my dad doesnot receive his bonus :p.

God damb thats a lot of money just to play Crysis. Be a bummer if it didnt run it above minimum at 1280x768. I would bbe so frusutrated.

And then theres windows vista.... I think my dad will just by one premium and use it on 3 pc's they all run through the same Router so microsoft wont tell the difference unless we have to re-register it on each pc. Then we'd be in trouble.

Owell aslong as crysis works WELL(ISH).

Is there anychance that by the end of february prices could of dropped in total by about 10-20 pounds? or is that a bit ambitous :p ??

Thanks Alot Meithan. Hope to here from you in the near future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom