Question on hex editing, and yes the thing I am editing is free for editing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cannotcompute

Solid State Member
If I posted in the wrong forum I appologise ahead of time. Feel free to move it to the correct section.

Does anyone know of a program that can moniter a specified program in real time so like when you open a dialog box in the program it says what line in the file it is reading from? Like it says something like line 13B955 executed or something like that so you could go in and edit that line with a hex editor so it wouldn't run that instruction?

Thanks.

Yeah, been thinking about that that.... I wonder if there is a way to only pick up certain types of instructions? (eg. dialog box, variable check)

Also.... I know the location of the text of the dialog box...... I could set up a self-destruct sequence just after it reads the text.... heehee

I haven't actually done a lot of programming, but I don't think so.

from what I've gathered, I think you need to decompile the program first before you can start editing the code. or download the source code for the program (if the author/s allow/s)

Yeah..... Well the author uses this really weird software license that allows decompileing and editing but doesn't give you what programming language it's in. It's annoying. He/she also does not provide source.....

does he put his source code up for download?

I've heard that it's often pretty hard to successfully decompile a program, even if you have the programming language.

Yeah, I really don't know what programming language it's in..... Didn't specify..... If I email maybe he'll give me source? Oh well, worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom