Defragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshort

In Runtime
Hey I have a Western Digtal 60gb drive and I've been trying to defragment the darn thing for a week. It's formatted in FAT32 (it's ironic that my NTFS formatted drive defragmented fine.) Anyways at first I was using the windows defragmenting program. After worse defragmentation results every time I defragmented with it (on my WD 60gb FAT32 drive) I decided it was a program error with FAT32 drives. So I downloaded the Perfect Disk 6.0 trial. With good results on my NTFS drive I decided to "buy it".

It was time to test it with the issue which had brought me to this great program. It's been three days of defragmentation, I've tried everything. Defragmentation, Smart Placement Defragmentation, Aggressive Smart Placement Defragmentation, and even an offline defragment. Everything seems to make fragmentation worse, the program even analyses it and tells me to defragment it right after I finish defragmenting the drive.

I'm not running any programs during the process, nor using the system in any way. Should I convert the drive to NTFS, or is there another option? I really want to avoid formatting my drive, but if I really have to I guess I can.

Please guys, this has been a week's problem, I really don't like being restricted to using my laptop while it's defragmenting.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

thats very strange, is there a specific reason ur keeping it in fat32, ntfs is a much better file system imo. u can convert the drive to ntfs while still retaining all ur data, without actually formatting the drive to ntfs and then try defraggin. as for the real solution while ur fat32 wont defrag i havent the slightest, never heard of nething like that before.

Neversleeps has a good idea, you might try that first.

You might also try downloading the Western digital diags tools from www.wdc.com and run it on your drive. Could be you have some hardware issues. Otherwise you might (if you haven't already) scan the drive for viri, or even bad sectors.

The reason why I was running FAT32 was so I could share some files with linux, since NTFS isn't the most compatible format available for linux.

I've also heard that if you change FAT32 to NTFS, you can't change it back, correct?

correct, the change from fat32 to ntfs is only one way.
did you try the other suggestions?

Ya, I scanned my drive Error code: 0000. Which means there is no error.

Lets see, how do I go about converting my drive to NTFS?

In the command prompt window, type

convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs

For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format.

Alright, I just finished converting my drive and I just started defragmenting.

I'll let you know how it goes.

It just finished, it was alot faster than the FAT32 defragmentations, and it worked to. Everything looks snug and in their place.

Thanks for help guys, and o0krylon0o for the command.
-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom