512mb dual channel or 1024mb???

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbc

Baseband Member
Hi,
I have finally made up my mind and ordered a XP-M 2500+, I hope I will be able to achieve something close to 3000+, as I am still a newb in OC.
Just want to have some advice about RAM, since I am in a tight budget, I am stuck in choosing between
OCZ premier 2*256 dual channel
or
Kingston 2*512 (not dual channel, however, it should work) I was hoping to get the hyperx, but it is way out of my budget!

Should I go with 512mb with a good brand? 1024mb but with a Kingston, samsung... etc...

Any help will be great!

Since you're going to be running an Athlon system, to be quite honest, dual channel doesn't do a whole lot. If you buy your own video card, it does even less. *Maybe* a 5% increase in performance. So I would suggest you go with ram with tighter timings rather than dual channel, it will make much more of a difference. Try for Cl2 or 2.5 and you'll be much happier.

As for 512 or 1024, go with what you need. If you will be running intense games while playing cd's, video editing, or some other combination go with a gig, if you're just going to browse or light whatever else go with faster but less ram.

As for the brand, I'd say go with Samsung. It's far cheaper than Kingston or Corsiar or Mushkin and should be just as good for overclocking. I'm going with Kingmax as I've heard some good success stories, so that's an option too.

Thanks, ya I think I will stay at 512 for now! save the money for the video card!!! 9600xt

I don't want start a new thread or take this one away from tbc but, whats good ram for burning dvd's and surfing the net. Make, how much , and type (dual or not dual). Thanks.

Buring DVD's and surfing the net are two very easy processes, neither of which require fast ram. Unless you want the buffering of the DVD's to be instant, you can probably get away with any kind of PC-2700 DDR ram. Kingston, Corsair, Mushkin, and even and Samsung Value Ram's should be excellent, and you could probably scrape by with 256 megs, though for the future I'd suggest 512. Hope that helps.

well maybe not instant. I would like to encode a dvd in 30mins or less. So how mauch ram would I need? When I do upgrade my ram I think I'll do 2 sticks of 512.

I personally would go with Kingston 2x256 (for 512MB) or 2x512MB (for 1GB) PC3200
not only is 2 RAM sticks faster with dual-channel, it is less expensive than buying 1x512MB or 1x1GB stick
and go into the BIOS and overclock the Athlon XP to a 3200+ by changing the FSB to 400MHZ
- make sure you have a good cooling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom