Replacing Fan & Heatsink

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
Hi, my brother's fan and heatsink on his computer recently died and he's been using a desk fan to keep it running ghetto style. So I was going to buy him a new fan and heatsink, but I've never replaced one before!

His computer is Socket A and kind of old, so I was just going to buy a cheaper one.

My question is, when I take his old one off, will I need to clean the old thermal paste or whatever was used off? Is there anything that I should or should *not* used to do this?

Anything else I should know?

I suggest you buy a new thermal paste with the new heatink.Clean the old thermal paste and apply some of the new thermal paste and then install the new heatsink..

An old plastic card (credit card, ID, etc.) is great for spreading the new thermal paste on there.

johnyB_24 said:
I suggest you buy a new thermal paste with the new heatink.Clean the old thermal paste and apply some of the new thermal paste and then install the new heatsink..

Haha, yeah, I just reread what I wrote and realized I wasn't totally clear.

I meant, do I clean the old thermal paste off with water or something so I can put new thermal paste on.

A friend suggested windex... but he's one of those friends that would like to think he knows more than he actually does.

OMFG windex!! LOL, no. Use isopropyl alcohol and a cotton swab to get rid of unwated thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom