Cooling question

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomCL

Baseband Member
I got a new PC, just got it up and going, but I was wondering what I should do for cooling. The case only has one fan slot, and that is on the door. Besides that, I have 4 extra fans but nothing to really do with them. Someone told me I need a massive amount of cooling for the system but I have no idea what I can do, and I'm afraid to boot up.

3800+ X2, 1GB PC5300, 7900GS.

DUDE.
NO EFFING WAY if it doesnt have a heatsink fan (which it would unless you bought an oem cpu) dont turn it on AT ALL.
that is one of the few things that can totally roast your cpu.
i would be surprised if your mobo didnt have a sensor that detects the cpu fan (or lack thereof) and shut down automatically. NO WAY AMIGO.

EDIT: i think hmammen is saying if you only have the one door fan (i hope) you can leave it on for a couple hours.
if so, yes you will need some more fans. at least one intake and one discharge. your psu should vent itself out the back.
i suggest at least two intake and one good discharge.

I guess I worded it a bit poorly. I thought a HSF was kind of a given. I have that, as well as a 80mm door fan. There is also a 120mm back fan. Is that enough?

Hahah, methinks hes asking if he needs case fans in addition to whatever cooling comes with his components, because someone told him his computer needs..... dun dun dun MASSIVE COOLING!!!

As long as you have a HSF and the GPU fan you shouldnt really worry. If you're doing some overclocking, or want to keep your pc at low temps then you might want to invest in an aftermarket HSF and some cooling fans.

Monitor your temps if youre really worried for a little while, and if you need it then make your changes.

yep probably so.
i would download coretemp and watch it though. check it like when you are playing a game.
since you only have one intake (door), investigate and see if you can fit a larger fan, and that may require some modification. 120mm will move twice as much air + as 80mm.
here's an example:
on my 4200 i have one 120mm intake, one 120mm rear discharge, one 92mm intake in the door, a pci slot fan that i use if i game for a long time, and a psu that moves A LOT of air out of it's chassis.
you can never have too many fans. unless you're like a noise freak and cant stand it. but they make quiet fans. and wooo weeee you can always unplug em.

yea...i meant if he has the door fan on....he could turn the comp on to make sure it would boot....but def dont do anything that would make it heat up lol.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom