unusual click of death problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

evencoil

Beta member
This is on an IBM (Lenovo) Thinkpad T41p running Windows XP...

So my computer was idling in Win XP when I heard from the other room that horrible sound I recognize as the "click of death." I run in to the room and everything had frozen solid. Soon after I get a blue screen.

I reboot, Windows starts to load and then there is a quick blue screen and then a reboot. I turn off the computer, let it sit for a few minutes.

I reboot, same thing.

I reboot again and this time run the preinstalled diagnostics (its PC Doctor, BTW) that can be done before Windows boots up. I run a full test. The HD fails the Linear Verify test on several sectors.

I reboot again, Windows starts loading.

To my utter amazement, Windows loads correctly and everything now seems to work fine. I immediately run PC Doctor inside of Windows and now all of the tests (including Linear Verify) are passed with no problems.

I've been using the computer as if nothing happened for about a week now (everything appears to work fine).

Any idea what happened? Am I running on borrowed time now?

Thanks!

that clicking might of been ur hd head that read/writes on the disk and it might be skipping and dying.
let the computer idle for couple hours and touch the hd to see if its hot , if so id suggest buying a hd fans so the hd doesnt get wrecked by heat

ohh ya BTW welcome to Tech-Forum

Id suggest backing up all your data immediately. Unless you want to be kicking yourself later that is.

Well I ran the firmware PC Doctor again. No problems this time on any of the sectors.

This is my laptop (so I can't really cool down the hard drive any further)...I don't actually save any data on it and its still warrantied for quite a while so I guess I'll just see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom