floppy or USB thumbdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjmitch2

In Runtime
Just out of curiosity, are all of you who are building new machines or have built one recently, putting a floppy drive in them???

I haven't used a floppy in a few years since USB thumbdrives came out and have not put one in any machine I have built for myself or others over the past few years.

I'm planning on building a computer within a month or two, and I'm not planning on putting a floppy drive in it.

The one I have now hasn't been used in over a year. I think it broke on me at some point between then and now.

I only have a floppy drive because my friend gave me a nice DELL USB one for free. It retails on their website for like $60.

But a USB drive is good, they're really cheap now, and almost every working computer has USB ports.

I use both. Floppy drives are cheap, and you never know when you'll need one. When I was in college the computers in the labs didn't have USB so I needed to transport electronic copies of my papers on good old floppy. Plus some BIOS updates are done via floppy.

I use usb thumb drives on a daily basis but I still keep a floppy in my new computers. I keep them for bios updates, sata/raid drivers, stuff like that. Plus you never know when some one will have a file only on a floppy or if you want to load a realy of game or something of a disk. They only like $6 anyhow, may as well have them I say.

The last time I used a floppy was 3-years ago because I couldn't trust the school's network, and USB drives were really expensive.

I havent used a floppy in AGES, aside from at work. I never put them in my systems but i have some spare just incase i need one.

I agree with jorsoft. You can use them for drivers and bios updates easily and they're really cheap. How else are you going to use the external 3.5" drive space?

Methinks it's one of those round black things with the grooves that plays music.
teeffro.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom