Harddrive making a strange noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

damican

Beta member
Hey everyone.. New here have a critical question!

I was in the middle of playing some game about 20 minutes ago and my harddrive started making a strange buzzing/humming sound. To confirm it was my harddrive I unplugged it, and turned the computer on. The noise was gone when I did so. So I have it back in and everything and it "seems" everything is running a lot slower. Things are locking up, ect.

I'm wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what this problem is, and how long my HD might have left in it. I'll be monitering this thread so I'll try to reply fast.. Don't want my HD to die before I find an answer.

Buzzing sound is usually good indicator that hdd is starting to fail. I recommend backing up all files immedietly.

Unfortunatly I am out of blank CD's. Would I be able to buy a new HD pop windows on it, and then load the current one as a secondary to transfer files? Also if it fails would I be able to transfer files?

damican said:
Unfortunatly I am out of blank CD's. Would I be able to buy a new HD pop windows on it, and then load the current one as a secondary to transfer files?

Absolutely. As long as you change the failing hdd to slave. On the hdd there is usually a little diagram that shows whech way to move the jumper to set it to slave. When you install windows on new hdd, just set theold one to slave and attach to same ide cable as master. then you can get files off.

Alright I think I'll do that. Any idea on how long Imight be able to keep using this one before it goes kapoof?

That's a good call johnyb. You really have no idea how long hard drives will last when they start to act up.

I've had an 80gig IDE start makeing noises and it was dead the next day.

And about 3 months ago my 74gig raptor hard drive started making those buzzing noises off and on, but never constantly, and the drive still hasn't failed yet!

But, for sure, play it safe. You really never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom