8800gtx and gts....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like Nukem says, why wait, new technology comes out every few months. I bit the bullet yesterday and bought my new parts with an 8800GTS. It will be better than my 6800GT AGP card and last for a while.

NosBoost300 said:
and you..... i didnt see this... what the **** is wrong with you, whats your deal, what do you have backing you up.. are you a fanboy???

fanboy? what the **** is wrong with me? Which one of the revenge of the nerds characters are you?

I do like Nvidia. But still, the 8800GTX has better tech than the ATI... with their new unified shader architecture, they have to be better than ATI. Besides, I haven't seen any stats posting definitive side-by-side comparisons for the g80 and r600, have you? If anything, I've just seen competitive hype from ATI that doesn't conclusively prove anything. And they're behind the times. Nvidia is also closer to intel, and ATI is with AMD... and we all know who wins that one, and who will be better in the long run. Doesn't Nvidia also supply xbox's and PS3's?
Besides, Nvidia is supposed to release the next g80 series around the same time as ATI's R600 release. You buy an r600, you're just going to get smoked by a better Nvidia card.

Rule of thumb for me has always been: Upgrade when you can't play a game that is out you want to be able to play. Your hardware will be insufficient for all the eye candy in the near future so make sure it is for a game you really like.

For me, that was HL2 and CSS when I upgraded from a 9700 pro to a x850 xt pe = )

Why do you want the hardware now? Good games out or just the glory? = )

Graham said:
Rule of thumb for me has always been: Upgrade when you can't play a game that is out you want to be able to play. Your hardware will be insufficient for all the eye candy in the near future so make sure it is for a game you really like.

For me, that was HL2 and CSS when I upgraded from a 9700 pro to a x850 xt pe = )

Another good reason, and one of mine too. I recently bought a widescreen and a lot of the games I am playing now don't run as well with the higher res. Plus I want to give FSX a whirl and I hear that is pretty rough on top notch systems.

Im getting ready for supreme commander. I could only play sc beta on mid settings and no AA without lagging extremely badly after about an hr in a 2x2 game when there was a lot of units with my 7900gs. Now i can play all high settings with no lag throughout a 2hr game (i was playing against ai's so thats why it was a long game if your wondering; i just dragged out the game on purpose to test my new 8800gts). Also I can notice faster loading times in windows which is a big plus with my muti-tasking and dual monitors.

I will admit I should wait for the r600 cause I don't know if I will be able to work this summer with summer college, so i might not have enough money for the r600 :(. But I can't afford a $600 gpu so i just went on and got a gts, but still pretty happy with it. But maybe my dad will feel nice around my BD and pay for half of a r600 and I pay with the rest of the money I have saved up but I doubt it...man i wish i was rich :p.

Supreme Commander is an amazing game. My alias is "Morax" on the beta so look me up.

As for hardware performance, the game is not optimized too well yet. They are more worried about balancing and network bugs over the graphical performance.

And as for the R600, you don't need one right now. I was pretty close to getting a 8800gtx, but i think i will stay with a 8800gts and upgrade later when the real DX10 games come out like crysis and UT2007, which are now pushed to Q32007!!!!! ****!

In fact, I'm going to get a core 2 duo and gts just for now, and after working summer sell that, get a quad core and whatever the best gfx card is out at the time.

Greenplantseed said:
fanboy? what the **** is wrong with me? Which one of the revenge of the nerds characters are you?

I do like Nvidia. But still, the 8800GTX has better tech than the ATI... with their new unified shader architecture, they have to be better than ATI. Besides, I haven't seen any stats posting definitive side-by-side comparisons for the g80 and r600, have you? If anything, I've just seen competitive hype from ATI that doesn't conclusively prove anything. And they're behind the times. Nvidia is also closer to intel, and ATI is with AMD... and we all know who wins that one, and who will be better in the long run. Doesn't Nvidia also supply xbox's and PS3's?
Besides, Nvidia is supposed to release the next g80 series around the same time as ATI's R600 release. You buy an r600, you're just going to get smoked by a better Nvidia card.

the xbox 360 has an ati, ps3 has nvidia

and the new nvidia cards that sre going to come out after the r600 are going to be low end models, more affordable direct x 10 cards for people with lower budgets.
if you can wait, then wait for the r600 i think that it is going to be badass but maybe not but you will be glad that you waited just in case

Graham said:

Word, im playing on a 7600GT and it runs all current games great. Sure id like a g80 card but i can live with my 7600GT just as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom