*MINIMUM* resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

dero

Solid State Member
I have an older HP workstation, dual 500mhz p3's and 256megs of ram. Its running windows 2000 and I am looking to put in in a bedroom to use for music, movies, and internet. I want to use the TV as a monitor to keep things integrated and compact. I have a computer that uses a 9200 with s-video out and the lowest I can display is 800x600. If i concentrate, I can read words on the TV from about 3 feet away. The lower the resolution is, the better I can read it. There are so many cheap video cards with tv-output but I want to find one that will let me use a low resolution so I can get a usable image on the tv.

the video card is not the problem.

go to start -> run -> regedt32

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ControlSet0001\Services\ati2mtag\DALNonStandardModesBCD

or it might be \ControlSet0002 ... 000x

look for ati2mtag

Example for adding the CustomRes 640 x 480:

Add Dword (hexadecimal) value: 0640048000000000

Reboot.

After reboot the new resolution should be available.

Thanks! I never thought of doing something like that. I just figured it wasn't able to produce that resolution for some reason. Is that pretty universal for all of ati's cards?

heh...good point. But it still wont do any good for words in an image. It will help out pretty much everywhere else though.

There should be a way to do this with pretty much any card right? I know this stuff is probably much more retro than what is usually discussed but I am looking at radeon 7000's and mx440's. I need something to work in a 3.3v slot.

Using a regular CRT TV for computer use will cause headaches at higher resolutions... I can't even read text from my 360 dashboard for more than 15 minutes without feeling weird.

Thats why I want to go low. Stuff like this usually doesn't bother me so I think I should be ok. the tv's main use will be just to navigate to music or movies and display the movies. I doubt it will see too much web browsing unless it works out really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom