What is a North Bridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
What is a North Bridge?

How does it effect my system?

What would be considered a 'good' or 'high performance' one?

"The Northbridge plays an important part in how far a computer can be overclocked, as its frequency is used as a baseline for the CPU to establish its own operating frequency. In today's machines, the chip is becoming increasingly hotter as computers become faster. It is not unusual for the northbridge to now use some type of heatsink or active cooling."

This worries me. I don't want to get any old north bridge, I want one good for over-clocking and what not. But there are a lot to choose from. I'm looking for a LGA 775 mobo. What would be a good north bridge to over clock with?

The northbridge isnt whats gonna determine your ability to oc, and you sound inexperienced since you dont even kno what one is. Hence you shoudlint try overclocking untill you do some research and learn a little more about computer hardware. The main 2 factors in ocing would be the actual cpu, ram, and how good your overall system cooling is.

The northbridge normally comes with the motherboard chipset, and different brand motherboards have different ways to cool their northbridge (passively or with tiny fans). A P965 chipset northbridge is a good one, providing you get a good make and model motherboard (Gigabyte, Asus).

ricanflow said:
The northbridge isnt whats gonna determine your ability to oc, and you sound inexperienced since you dont even kno what one is. Hence you shoudlint try overclocking untill you do some research and learn a little more about computer hardware. The main 2 factors in ocing would be the actual cpu, ram, and how good your overall system cooling is.

Open mouth....insert foot. Dude, The Northbridge is very important in determininng OC values. What the heck are you taklking aobut? Although less important in AMD XP CPU's, determinig the FSB frequency and core voltages is HOW YOU OVERCLOCK. Read grasshopper....you stand self accused!!!:p :mad: :amazed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom