Radeon X1950 Pro Problems!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliaze

Solid State Member
I just purchased a complete new system.
And I'm disappointed to say it doesn't work properly...

Core 2 Duo E6300
Asus P5B
seagate 160GB
HIS X1950 PRO
Geil 1GB (2x512mb) dual channel DDR2-800
Antec Smart Power 450W

I can load windows and it will sit there fine, all drivers can be installed and everything, all the basic windows functions work like music web browsing and all, the second i load up a game such as Call of duty 2 the whole screen turns into a jumble a retarded colourful patterns... and then the PC crashes and resets...

I HAVE tried 3 different types of drivers including latest catalyst.
I have reformatted 5 times and started from scratch...

After it crashes it also sometimes goes back to the desktop after the ATI control panel resets the video card claiming that it is no longer responding to the commands.

Any help is Very much appreciated as this pc is getting on my nerves.
Nick.

Could be several things.

Might be a power problem. Video cards draw significantly more power in 3D mode than in 2D mode.

Could be a driver issue, though seeings you have tried a few different drivers that is unlikely the problem.

How's your cooling? Overheating cards can show similar symptoms.

It's possible that it's just a bad card. If, after trying a few more things, it still fails to work correctly then send it back and get a new one.

Okay, it sounds like either a heat issue or a power issue. I'm leaning towards it being psu related since you've only got 450 watts. The 1950 is a real monster of a card and 450w is pretty low for a hungry system like yours. I'd upgrade to 550-600 myself for future proofing and for how much power that card needs. Try buying a decent psu at circuit city/best buy/compusa or someplace, testing with that, and then returning it when you know the result.

jorsoft03 said:
Okay, it sounds like either a heat issue or a power issue. I'm leaning towards it being psu related since you've only got 450 watts. The 1950 is a real monster of a card and 450w is pretty low for a hungry system like yours. I'd upgrade to 550-600 myself for future proofing and for how much power that card needs. Try buying a decent psu at circuit city/best buy/compusa or someplace, testing with that, and then returning it when you know the result.

From what I've seen at the local Best buy, there are no "decent" power supplies. :p

Then just grab a super over priced Antec psu with high wattage and see how it works. Return it when done, no one charges a restocking fee for small stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom