General hard drive question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyiomatic

Baseband Member
I can't seem to get a straight answer. How long will a hard drive last. Ive heard of laptops going out quicker on the harddrive. Is it true? Im in the dark here, I heard that laptops last four years and desktops lasting 8-10 years. :rolleyes: .....any answers?

No hard drive will guarantee how long they can last, they either die right out of the box or work until the end of the universe, but the average life of a hard drive is some where between 3 to 5 years. I have own a WD that is still going strong for over 7 years now and I've seen Seagate and Maxtor died a year after their warranty expires or right out the box. You canÂ’t predict it.

Laptops are more prone to being drop; you often move them around while their on which is risky to your hard drive if you shake or drop or violently bump the laptop. But I wouldn't know for sure, however it's easier for laptops to overheat because there isn't much efficient cooling.

I have the worst experience with Maxtors. Many retail companies use them because they're nice but I've seen lots die after 2-3 years. Western Digital and Seagate are both very good. At least Seagates carries a 5 Year Warranty on their hard drives so you've got some recourse if it fails on you.
And like Law said, impossible to predict.

yea, thers no way to predict a HDDs life.

but it is common sence that a Laptop HDD will have a significantly shorter life in general then a Desktop.

as they mentioned above, heat and vibration are the enemy, and a laptop is exposed to such situations more often then desktops.

eitherway, you should always assume, desktop or laptop... that your HDD will fail, and just backup your data.. if you have any important data witch you dont wont lost.

Yep, using a Western Digital [WD] 80 gig portable HD for my pictures and documents for three different computers, it works VERY well. No main harddrive issues yet, but I asked around and I got the same answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom