Looking to buy a notebook..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TightInn

Beta member
This is probably going to sound hopeful to most of you, but I'm looking to buy a notebook sometime between now and August 1st. I am hoping to spend, ideally, $1,000-$1,200, though I suppose $1,500 would be the absolute max I'd spend and I would have to feel like I was getting an excellent deal (which generally isn't the case when spending more money on technology).

I'll be using this notebook for college (I'll be a freshman next year) and it will be the only computer I'll have while at college, so basically a desktop replacement that I can bring to class. I plan on buying a new notebook (or possibly desktop) once I become a junior/senior. My first concern is that I want it to replace any spiral notebooks and not make me need paper or anything like that and be able to take notes easily. I'd also like to be able to of course browse the web, download music and watch DVDs on it. I used to play an awful lot of PC Games, but not as much recently. I don't know if I'll do that as much once I get into college, but I'd like to at least let that be possible. I'm not sure how difficult it is to upgrade a video card on a notebook, but perhaps someone here could tell me.

I am not sure how fast prices will go down in the next 2 months, but hopefully they'll fall quite fast, at the least for the Pentium M's (though this may not be the case). Here's a rough idea of what I'm looking for (you guys may suggest I change some of this stuff):

Must Have:
-High Speed Wireless
-DVD Player & CD Burner

Rough Idea on Specs:
-512 MB RAM
-Floppy Drive
-20-40MB Hard Drive
-Pentium M Processor (I don't care what speed as long as it's over 1000 mhz)
-Battery should last 2+ hours
-A Video Card that will be able to play demanding games without much lag for the next 2-3 years

-Hardware that allows "taking notes" easy (drawing diagrams, etc, without needing photoshop or anything) ... I thought I recall Microsoft having something like this, but it may just be OneNote 2003.

Stuff I don't care about:
-Warranty
-Software
-Operating System
-Free AOL
-Printer/Mouse/Keyboard, etc.
-Weight

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions on companies I should look at, how long to wait until buying this, specific things to look for, etc I'd really appreciate it.

I think you're going to have to invest more money for something that has "A Video Card that will be able to play demanding games without much lag for the next 2-3 years". ;)

I'm pretty sure you can get most of the rest of the stuff for $1500. One thing i do know is: If you want a laptop with the ability to play video games, it isn't going to be cheap. ( about $3000.00 in my opinoin.)

try this site for a gamer laptop

Most laptops have an integrated videocard. that means its on the motherboard itself and no way in hell are you going to be able to upgrade the card. The link above has laptops that you can upgrade the video card, but they are one of the few exceptions.

one last thing, if you can find a decent laptop that will play video games for $1500, please send me an e-mail.

good luck :)

Well, I built one at Dell (haven't bought anything yet, just built it to see how much it would cost). They had extra crap I don't need. I don't need the processor to be 1.5 GHz, I don't need Sonic RecordNow, I don't need Windows XP and I don't need a Warranty. I also have 2 months to buy it, and it cost $1,496 for these specs:

Pentium® M Processor,1.5 GHz, 15.4 in UltraSharp™ Wide Screen XGA
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
512MB DDR SDRAM 2 Dimms
128MB DDR ATI's MOBILITY® RADEON™ 9600 PROTURBO
24X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive with Sonic RecordNow
30GB Hard Drive
1 Year Limited Warranty plus 1 Year Mail-In Service

I think that the Video Card upgrade was pretty overpriced, though. On pricegrabber a Radeon 9800 Pro was $162 (+/- $15), and to upgrade from the 32MB DDR NVIDIA®GeForce™ FX Go5200 AGP 4X Graphics cost me $189. I think that if I found the right company I might be able to find exactly what I want right now for $1,200 and in a couple of months maybe even Dell would offer it ..

Ebay is a great place to buy expensive ntoebooks fro aroudn $1000....;) There are brand new Alienwares that can be had for your range:)

Just becareful and read all the rules so you don't get shafted and even post what your thinking of getting here and we'll let you know if your getting ripped-off:p

I'm in the same position as you with College coming and everything and that is where I am looking:confused:

www.powernotebooks.com ... if you have an operating system lying around this place is awesome. you can read their reviews at resellerratings.com they have one or two models with a 9600 pro in it. That is not the top of the line mobile video card ... but it's second. The top is a 9700. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom