Case Mod Idea...Criticism welcome:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared17

In Runtime
Hey all.

So ever since having built my new rig, I've been contemplating the idea of modifying my case to some extent. My case is an NZXT Apollo.

The idea: To take aluminium(spelling? lol) and cover bend it around the drive bays, leaving some room around them for wires and such to go behind.

Also keep in mind this will all be from one piece of aluminium(spelling?).

There will also be aluminium taken from the top of the case and down around the power supply, although, I will be getting a new power supply, which would be a Hiper Type-R. But that throws a wrench in my plan because it has a 120mm fan in the bottom, so I will have to cut out an area around the bottom so that the fan still does its job. The next thing I want to do is to take 3 120 mm case fans and mount them in the aluminium, well 2 actually. One fan will go in the original spot its supposed to go in the Apollo. and the second will go directly behind it to continue to blow the air into the open area of the case, also blowing it over the harddrives keeping them cool, so essentially serving 2 purposes. the 3rd will be mounted along the top near the power supply, also acting as an exhaust fan.

Now I'm not totally sure on the fan configuration yet, so suggestions are MORE than welcome and I would appreciate them alot.

Attached are some pics to kind of explain my idea a little more.

The before picture:

apollo.jpg

And the after picture:

apollo-mod.jpg

You'll all have to excuse my "paint" skills, its all I had haha.

Any suggestions anyone might have I would be more than open to them.

So lets hear it!:)

Hmm...

I think it could look good if you spent a lot of time and did a good job. What I mean by that, is not just getting some aluminum and slapping it to the side, but instead removing the existing bays and using a solid panel of aluminum cut, bent, and riveted in.

Also, that top fan isn't going to do diddly squad unless it has a fresh air source to suck in from. It would work alright if you cut a blow hole out though.

Also I'm not so sure this will be good for your PSU. Usually there are vents/holes to suck air from and allow it to go through the components and then exit the case. If you block all those holes it's not going to cool efficiently.

Just my useless $.02.

I was considering the blowhole idea, but I'm not too keen on cutting a hole in the top of my brand new case lol. Hmm so I would say I'm definatly going to have to reconsider all of this.

Well if you're uncomfortable with modding certain areas, then you might as well stop now. ;)

You want a great idea? Consult my thread entitled BEHEMOTH Case Gallery.

Trust me, its enormous. Your ideas will be enhanced with your browsing foreplay, solidifying the magnitude of your results. :D

Wth did I just say? :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom