SATA drive not detected with Asus board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizokuu

Beta member
To give a bit of background, I've used SATA before on this custom built (by a friend) PC and it worked. When I reformated and so forth however, I bought a new SATA drive and this one refuses to be detected. I have an ASUS A8V Deluxe board and I plugged in the power cord and the SATA cable. There are 4 places I can plug in the SATA cable on my motherboard: 2 black ones that say SATA1 I think (hard to read) and 2 red ones that say SATA RAID1 I think. Anyway, I plug them into the black ones and my computer boots goes past the SATA detection utility and thinks its an IDE drive and it says that the 250gb drive is there; model number and all, but I can't configure it through that.

If I plug it into either red one the SATA utility says "Scanning drives..."
then
"Harddrive initiate failed.....
The BIOS has not installed....check device!!!!"

Yes, with that bad grammar and punctuation.

Anyway, I went into the BIOS to see if my controllers for SATA were on. I only saw the IDE controllers (my main HD is IDE, the one with windows), and I saw no SATA controller options at all! I installed the drivers on my motherboard disk and actually went the extra mile to find the newest compatible ones, no dice.

So anyway, someone please help! I spent $100 on this HD and I'd like it to work. Thanks ahead of time.

The black SATA connectors are most likely SATA2, whereas the red ones are SATA150.

It is Western Digital and what does SATA2 and 150 mean to me, as far as which I should plug in to?

Ok so my friend from another forum told me this:

From your MOBO manual: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/a8v-deluxe/e1878_a8v_deluxe.pdf
Page 47
Quote:
By default, The RAID connector is set as RAID. If you want to use it as an independent drive, set the Operation Mode to IDE Mode under the Advanced Menu.

Page 90 of that manual shows the menu settings on how to turn the raid controller into a standard HD controller. Set it from RAID to IDE.

Ok so sweet, I did that and it said that it found the drive and that it was "Installing BUS drivers" or something. Sweet!

Then I loaded windows and it still wasn't there. Did Disk Management etc. Any ideas? :(

Kaizokuu said:
It is Western Digital and what does SATA2 and 150 mean to me, as far as which I should plug in to?

SATA2 is an updated version of SATA150. SATA 150 = 150gb/s, SATA2 = 300gb/s.

As for which one should you plug the drive into? That depends, is it a SATA150 drive or a SATA2 drive? It shouldn't matter which one you use if the drive is SATA150, because SATA150 is backwards compatible with SATA2...however, SATA2 plugs will not work in a SATA150 port (atleast I do not believe so).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom