Mysterious Loss of Internet Connection ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivers93

Solid State Member
About a week ago I noticed after my PC was idle for perhaps and hour I could no longer access the Internet or email. When this happens I have to reboot my PC to regain Internet access.

I have Windows XP MCE and I use a cable modem for the internet. It appears there's nothing wrong with the modem. When I lose access I tried rebooting the modem- that didn't do anything. Also, all the lights on the modem look normal even after I lose Internet access.

Could this be some kind of virus or spyware issue? My virus software PC-cillen has not detected anyting. I haven't installed anything new on the PC related to the internet. I did install a few screen video capture programs recently which I will be uninstalling now.

Could be your network adapter going into standby... Check properties in "device manager" for your network adapter...

This has happened to me aswell, and rebooting the computer was the only solution i have found. The only thing that i could come up with is that my computer was attacked and my security software was "autoblocking" communications. However, if that was the case, i believe it should only block the attacking IP address(s).

I went ahead and unchecked all "standby" settings on my NIC. I also did a system restore going back before the problem started.

The problem appears to be gone now. I suspect it was the system restore that solved the problem because I can't see what could have caused a NIC setting to change and therefore be the cause of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom