Help a Noob!! First PC Build Evar!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sl4ppinb4ss3r

Solid State Member
Hey guys, im new to this forum, and ive decided with inspiration from my gamer friend, that i want to build my own PC (finally, ive been wanting to do it for a while but now im finally taking the plunge)

Ive already bougt my monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers and stuff. Now im just missing the pc itself. here is what my friend had suggested to me.

Motherboard - Asus M2N-E w/ DualDDR2 800, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, PCI-E x16

Case- Aspire X-Discovery Case w/ Side Window, Black

Ram - Corsair ValueSelect 1GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM (one for now)

Graphics Card - eVGA e-GeForce 7950 GT 512MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out

Processor - AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ EE w/ 2x512K Cache (Socket AM2)

HD - Seagate 250GB Barracuda 7200.10 SATA II w/ NCQ, 16MB Cache

Cd drive - LiteOn SHM-165H6S 16x16 DVD+/-RW Dual Layer Drive w/ Lightscribe, Black (OEM)

Im missing a power supply, and i dont know what to get.. my said i would be safe with a 500w, but am i like, borderline safe? or safe for good? anyways, post what you think, money kinda is an issue hah, since im only 17 and i only make so much.. i would like to keep it under 1300CAD for the pc, since i have to buy windows and stuff... blah! i found a guide thing thatcould help me build this thing, as ive never built a pc in my life.
Guide

Anyways thanks!

here are the things i already own
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10079634&catid=22334
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10080489&catid=14266
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10080488&catid=14265
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...angid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10081250&catid=23833

get a cheaper video card and get a better processor unless you have the money then just get a better processor ;)

If you want an AMD then you will have to stick with that processor or spend a little more and get a 4200 x2 like mine, if thats too much then maybe someone will recommend a core 2 duo or something?

As for the rest of your stuff its very good, the 7950GT 512 i can vouch for that being an excellent card, it plays everything on max settings, then your speakers are great aswell.

Core Duo E6400, Gigabye S series T775 mobo. Comes in at the same price as the AM2 wiht 30% better performance.

so it is,
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ EE w/ 2x512K Cache (Socket AM2)

and now im just missing a power supply, any suggestions?
i need to know whats a good company, what wont die on me, and how many watts i should purchase.

thanks for all the quick replies and help guys! really appreciated!:D

I don't like to push either way in terms of companies (i.e. intel and AMD), but I would personally go with Rico's suggestion. If you don't want to though, Jonny's setup will do you good too.

In terms of RAM, I would suggest you get 2GB because most games are requiring 1GB, and sometimes 2GB, now and very very soon, they will all be requiring atleast 2GB. So if you want to be ready for future games, I would suggest 2GB of a decent ram. How much does that 1GB kit cost? If I were you, I would try to wait a little bit longer and save up for a 2GB kit. It will be worth it in the long run IMO. I'm 17 too so I know how long it takes to get that extra $100 or so, but I say wait.

Good luck!

EDIT: O ya, I didn't forget about the PSU, I just am not really one to ask about those so I chose not to suggest something that could end up failing on you. Heh.

Go with a Intel core 2 duo.
Also I agree with the 2gb memory suggestion. If you don't want to wait just get 2x512mb or 1x1gb for now and upgrade when you get the extra cash.

thanks everyone, the ram im getting is a 1x1G, its like 100ish CAD, i will definately get another stick of it, as if i remember the mother board i picked can hold 8G.

correction, the ram is 134cad, i imagine better quality ram means you can overclock it and stuff??

PSU suggestions still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom