Thoughts on X1950 XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethereal_Dragon

Fully Optimized
Ok, so, I am looking to get a new video card to replace my x800 Pro. (It's a christmas present, so 8800xxx is out of the question... too expensive).

I am going to be getting an ATi card, so please refrain from the "but you could get a 7xxxGxx and blah blah"... I pretty much have what I am looking for picked out, and am just looking for feedback from anyone who has experience with this card

HIS X1950XT

Thanks guys :cool:

The 8800GTS totally owns the X1950 XT and it only costs $160 more.

If I were you, I'd just save up the extra 160 and get and 8800GTS. That or at least get a 7950GX2...

The 7950GX2 would be a waste of money, because the 8800GTS is in the same pricerange, and as stated earlier, this is a christmas present, and right now I don't have the cash for the extra $200ish difference in price.... I was merely looking for feedback on the x1950 series.

Well, (as can be seen in my sig) I got the HIS X1950 XT.....

I am really loving this card. It nearly doubled my 3DMark05 scores over my X800 PRO, and I am also running a Folding@Home GPU client on it, and finishing 1-2 WU's a day... the dual-slot setup is also very nice for my shuttle, as it is keeping the temps down slightly in the case.... Card runs at about 60* C during F@H, and the GPU and CPU are both being utilized @ 100%.

In my eyes, there is ABSOLUTLY no point in getting a DX10 card right now... the standard isn't even OUT yet, let alone beyond the first gen cards. I will wait for it to come out, mature, and allow the 8800's and whatnot to become the 'mainstream' cards that the average joe can afford....

The graphic card has an effect on folding? I though it was mostly the CPU.

Good thing you didn't go for the X1900GT, I just got that card a little while ago and I am very disappointed with it, so much that I am taking it back

b1gapl said:
The graphic card has an effect on folding? I though it was mostly the CPU.

Not with the CPU client. There is a GPU client that runs on the graphics card, but it only supports ATi Radeon X1xxx series cards at this time, so NVidia users are out of luck.

maroon1 said:
The 8800GTS just cost $125 more.

You can pay extra $125 and you will get a video card the will completely destroy X1950xt, and support DX10

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814133188

I find nothing wrong with the Nvidia 8800 series cards, however, they were over-budget in this case. Also, as mentioned previously, DX10 isn't even out yet, let alone games that run on DX10 (to the best of my knowledge.) I will let the technology mature, and the cards will be cheaper when I am ready to take the DX10 challenge.

Also, I wanted to be able to run the GPU client of Folding@Home, which is not possible on NVIDIA cards, not even the 8800's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom