$1,200 Optimus Keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Still looking for some holiday stocking fillers Â… how about a keyboard? It has 103 keys and can display images on each key using OLEDs (Organic LEDs). Price? If you need to ask the price, this keyboard isn't for you!

Well, that's not really it. That's what the concept keyboard looked like about a year ago. Back then each key had a full-size color OLED display. Since then a lot of features have been dropped. Gone are the color OLEDs, full-key images, and the launcher keys (shown in the image above). For anyone who's been following the Optimus keyboard with an idea of buying one (as I was initially), Lebedev over-promised and then later under-delivered on features (that's the danger of pre-announcing a product to generate buzz - if you can't deliver, you're open for attack). The price is just the final nail in the coffin of this project. The price is set to come down to sub-$1,000 some time next year but even then this is still way overpriced in my opinion.

My guess is (and this is backed up by feedback to Lebedev himself on his blog) is that people are going to hold out until the price comes down or for the color version to be released. If that ever happens Â… I'm not holding my breath!

If you like the idea then Lebedev also makes a 3-key version called the Optimus mini three. This has a slightly saner pricetag of $121. But itÂ’s only three keys. (I wonder what three functions I would choose for these keys???)

keyb_front.jpg

keyb_left.jpg

keyb_003.jpg

keyb_002.jpg

keyb_001.jpg

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

I'd rather spend my $1k for a whole computer. Nice keyboard though. I like how the lights can change the keyboard keys, into like a FPS gaming keyboard.

When i first heard about it, i wanted it. With that price tag, forget it. It would be neat if i had a grand to waste, but i don't.

Ive seen a review on it and although it looks awesome and erforms great the value for money was rubbish apparently next year it should be half price as theyre not selling enough to keep producing lol. But is unbelievably cool in a geeky kinda way:D

Matt

It's ridiculously expensive but it would be cool if i was really rich and had money to waste.

Like B1Gapl Said, i could build myself a nice comp for that much money. But to think that this could be the next line of keyboards, it's pretty cool .:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom