I dont know what to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarplyrstevo

In Runtime
My $500 dollar HP Pavilion crashed on me last week and now I am stuck using my old Sony Vaio. When I turn on the computer, it wont log me in. For example: I will click my name on the windows login, type my password and hit enter. It will say loading personal preferences blah blah blah, and then 5 seconds later, it will say logging out. I know how to fix that, but I have a lot of things on that hard drive that I cant access. I believe it is a SATA hard drive, so I was wondering if there is any way to access that hard drive before I do a system recovery. With my old AATA or whatever its called, I needed to buy a hard drive enclosure and plug the hard drive into another computer using USB. Do I need to do the same with SATA hard drives?

Try booting in safe mode. Also, try a logging in to a different account on the computer if there is one to see if it does the same thing.

KingAustin said:
Try booting in safe mode. Also, try a logging in to a different account on the computer if there is one to see if it does the same thing.

tried all of that. tried logging into other accounts, tried logging into every account in safe mode...nothing. i know what happened, my windows crashed. i called HP and they told me to pay then 45 dollars so they can help me out, but i yelled at them so much they helped me for free. before i fix the computer, i just need to get my files off the drive. all i need to know is if i need another hard drive enclosure for my SATA drive.

Yes, you can do the same thing you did with your IDE HD with an SATA drive and you will need to buy a new enclosure since they aren't the same type.

Plug the hardrive in another computer, dont run the computer off that hardrive then try to open the files as like it is a external hardrive. Because you have a password the filles will be locked, so you will have to find a way to hack it. Or run the other computer off the hardrive thats screwed, try to go into your account like normal, then back up the files, wipe it, then plug it back into your hp and try to log in.

IceKoldKilla said:
Plug the hardrive in another computer, dont run the computer off that hardrive then try to open the files as like it is a external hardrive. Because you have a password the filles will be locked, so you will have to find a way to hack it. Or run the other computer off the hardrive thats screwed, try to go into your account like normal, then back up the files, wipe it, then plug it back into your hp and try to log in.

I tried that with my last hard drive. The only difference was the computer was already running and as soon as i plugged in the hard drive, windows completely froze on me. As soon as i unplugged the hard drive, it unfroze on me. The guy at Fry's Electronics told me that is a security thing Windows has for XP. Would it be different for a SATA drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom