Building new comp have ? about XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

magnum70

Baseband Member
I hope this is the right section for this forum. Anyway I building a new comp. I have XP installed on my HD from my old comp and planning on switching it to the new comp. It's going to be different mobo and processor. Well anyway I was wondering after i get it built can install the hd with xp already on it and Xp will detect the new comp or do I have to clear my HD and install XP agian. All I have is a backup disk from the company that I got my old comp from. I dont want to buy xp again if you know what I mean. How can I do this without buying Xp again if there is a way. Any help on how I can install the HD with Xp already on it will be helpful. Thanks

If you mean you have the backup cd, it is a safe bet that it has the full version of xp on it, thus after you get your new computer assembled, you just pop that in and do a clean stall of xp. Although it is most likely possible to put you old drive into your new computer, a clean install is the best way to do this, since you start fresh. Plus you get th os on a (hopefully) newer and faster drive.

well not necessarily. when i built my new computer, i tried using a DELL CD that had Windows 98 on it and it wouldn't let me because it wasn't a DELL machine. however, you can try copying the necessary files for windows to get installed and burn them on another CD making it bootable.

I have an emachines back up disk. I dont know if that will work or if you know it will work. Is there a tread on wich programs I need to burn to a disk so I can make a copy of xp and where or if I need the activation number and where to get that? I hope to just my hd in and it will work without dooing a a fresh start. I rather wait and get the new version of xp or whatever they'll comeout with in these next months. I have 2 hd with xp on it so I can try both ways without worring if it will work or not. Any help on the programs to copy just in case would be helpful. Thanks!

ive had the dell install discs work on non dell computers as it appears to b an actual xp disc with the dell name, hp was a completely different story, their 6 or 8 recovery discs r a joke, wouldnt even work when i still had the hp mobo in my computer then after i got the msi one i have now, ya rite its not an hp computer no install for me. really depends on the manufacturer but hp isnt user friendly imo. as for the xp'n in the same hard drive to a different computer if it does boot the first thing that will happen is xp will b like whoa different computer this could b a pirater here, we need to make him call microsoft and reactivate this copy of windows and it wont let u log in till u do. happened to me and i only switched out the mobo all other hardware and peripherals were the same. then about 2 hours later the whole windows install went to shit and i had reinstall everything neways im still working on the 100 or so progs i had installed not to mention the i think it was like 57 or so critical updates for windows. god what a joke 57 critical updates, not to mention the second service pack is about out. u would think that a company virtually monopolizing the OS industry could at least get it rite especially on like the 5 or 6th release of windows

If you plan on changing the chipset of your motherboard without reloading XP you could have some serious problems.

Most Win XP installs blue screen when you change the chipset from one manufacturer to another, say Intel to SIS, or VIA. If you are upgrading the chipset with the same manufacturer you will probably be just fine. Just reload your chipset drivers.

If you are changing chipset manufacturers you might get away with reloading the OS over top of itself without a format/reload.

well I'll try the ways you mention with the backup disk. It's still going to be an Intel chip so that might work without reloading. I'll try it on my older 20gb HD first just in case so I dont messup my new one. I should have the rest of the stuff to complete it in about a week or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom