SATA 3.0 Problem (speed too low)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cephyr13

Beta member
I RAIDed two western digital 7200 rpm SATA drives that average 82MB per second transfer rate each. On a striped RAID setup, I should be getting 164MB per second, theoretically. Realistically, I expected at least 155MB per second transfer rate. I'm getting 110MB per second transfer rate. The HD jumper settings are set to 3.0GB/s through put, not 1.5GB/s.

On another computer, I had 2 10,000 rpm SATAs that only do 101MB/s tranfer rate, and they should do 140MB/s. How can I get the transfer rates where they're supposed to be on these systems?

It happens on my DFI motherboard as well as my Asus motherboard, both with onboard RAID controllers. Therefore, I would tend to think that it is not the onboard RAID controller.

I just used SiSoftware Sandra to run a benchmark and I found that I'm actually getting 133MB/s transfer rate. The last test I did was incorrect for some reason. Don't know why. So, the drives are a little bit closer to the speed they're supposed to run at.

But, since their theoretical speed is supposed to be 164MB/s, that means you should get around 155MB/s with a bit of loss, which is typical. So, I am still a little behind...but not enough to discourage me now.

I'm using the integrated onboard RAID controllers, and for some reason it calls it a SCSI setup instead of a SATA setup. Haven't figured that one out. But, I'm okay with 133MB/s throughput. I'll have to just add a third drive to the RAID if I want 200MB/s. No big deal.

I'm not sure if it's a software problem or not, but that could be the reason for the loss of transfer rate. Thanks for the help.

What makes you think SATA is SCSI? SATA is similar to SCSI in the way it works, sure. But why would you say SATA is SCSI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom