AMD XP 2600 HIGH temp...does it hurt??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satellite

Solid State Member
I have a AMD XP 2600 Thoroughbred CPU. I have a copper heatsink with a fan RPM of 5950 and a well circulated case (3 case fans, one is a 120 mm fan and two 80mm fans). my problem is overheating of the CPU. Could it be because my motherboard is maxed out? Its an ASUS A7V266-E. Sitting idle the CPU temp is between 56 and 58 degrees Celsius (I'm using motherboard monitor 5 software for the temps). playing games like Far Cry or Rise of Nations makes the temp go to 61-63 degrees Celsius. Thats too hot, right? Anyone else have these kind of temps? Any suggestions would be MOST appreciated. Thank you.

It probably doesn't help that I have an ATI 9800 PRO which probably makes the motherboard work even harder.

Its a new heatsink and fan

the piece of garbage heatsink and fan that came with the CPU went in the trash. Supposedly the one I have now is much better. I put plenty of paste (but not to much) on the heatsink, but it could be that I suppose. I made sure that I heard the loud clipping sound of a good CPU/heatsink connection. I'll probably try again though just to be sure. Is 63 degrees causing damage? That only happens on rare occasions.
yes the BIOS temp is the same as motherboard monitor 5 temp
Thanks for the help MicroBell!

My friend recently bought a thermal take fan and heatsink. I have seen the unit in action and I am very impressed. It came with a speed controller for the fan and on the low setting(2200 rpms) his computer was at about 45C. At the fastest speed(5500 rpms), which is very noisy however, i watched it drop the total CPU temp down to 36.5C. If you are really want to lower the temp a sufficient amount, just look into the thermal take heatsinks and fans. You can generally find them for about $30.00US at hardcorecooling.com.

Thanks for the help guys!

thanks for helping me... I really appreciate it. No overclocking, Microbell. I am afraid to overclock with these high temps. The BIOS is updated most recent (1011). case is an XBLADE, 120 mm fan in back blowing out, 80 mm fan on side blowing out, and 80 mm fan in front blowing in over hard drives. I'm going to buy a new heatsink and fan, thanks for the help 30 bucks on a new fan is cheaper then a new CPU

:eek: How do you guys even achieve 57* Celsius? I can go 45*C at full load and sometimes i get the feeling my cpu is dying. It's currently at 41*C. But then again i have 5 fans in my case.:p

May be the glue got problem, u can apply new thermal glue on your cpu n test again. But your cpu is very good, my friend AMDXP2200+ will shut down the computer automatically when reach 60 celcius.

Well, try buy some branded thermal glue.
Then, u take off the heatsink n fan, if can, clean the dust also.
After that, wipe off the old thermal compound on the processor, is suppose to be dry already, u can use tissue or something to clean it, but do not apply with water. If u want, u can also use ACETONE. Next, u apply the new thermal compund to the processor , remember to cover the whole compound of the processor. If not mistake, the AMD XP compound very small only.

When applying the thermal compound, i have read in numerous forums and how-to magazines, to only apply a pea-sized amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom