BOXED, OEM, RETAIL, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eesotereh

In Runtime
I see "BOXDsuchandsuch" computer parts on wholesale dealers' web sites like new egg. What does "BOXED" mean? Is that the same as retail with manuals, drivers, cables, etc? As opposed to bare bones OEM?

Retail = You know, a box, with contents, sealed from the manufacturer, sold to Best Buy or another similar store.

OEM = You get only what you need without a box. OEM monitor would be just the monitor, no cords or cables. OEM software is just the disc, no manuals.

BOXED = Never heard of that, but I'm guessing it's been refurbished and re-packaged.

OEM products generally have a lesser warrenty (or no warrenty at all in some rare cases).

BOXED means packaged by the seller. I think. For example, if you buy a home theatre system and it has a Yamaha amp and Panasonic speakers, it's boxed. So basically it means it's a combination of things put together and sold as a package by the seller.

I am not 100% positive about this.

I get my operating system OEM. Especially as i can get windows vista premium in OEM for £70... Authentic DVD and License Key, so basically if you were to get the retail the Extra £100 you would pay would be for the Box.

The OEM Software are usually the kind as shipped with Dell PC's ect ect were no box is supplied so its cheaper for the company.

Thanks

I know that boxed computer hardware like harddrives include SATA cables and such, stuff that usually comes with your motherboard. Basically what I'd say is boxed computer parts come with additional material that is necessary but not always needed.

I also have a question regarding this.

Say you buy something like an OEM motherboard. I understand that it will only be the motherboard...no cords or anything, but they still provide a box, right?

CrazeD said:
I also have a question regarding this.

Say you buy something like an OEM motherboard. I understand that it will only be the motherboard...no cords or anything, but they still provide a box, right?

Ehh that depends.
Sometimes something says OEM, but its rly a bundled item. Which means it comes with one other thing. This most often applies to CD/DVD RW drives and the bundled item is the driver/burning program. (Disc)

But, for the most part OEM means just the item in an anti static bag/container.
So yea, if you find an OEM motherboard its a good bet that nothing comes with it and its in an antistatic bag. But it could also come with the Driver CD.

But Ive also gotten Bundled items with the screws and cables within the anti static Bag, and also gotten items that Say OEM but provide screws and sometimes (Like stated above) a Driver/program disk.

So

:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom