Overclocking help...I'm totally lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

jared17

In Runtime
Hey everyone. well I've been trying for the past 2 days to overclock my rig, which is a Gigabyte 965P-S3, and an E6300, with a gig of memory running at 667mhz.

It seems no matter what I do I can't change the Bus speed past 276, which really frustrates me. I'm not on stock cooling either. I don't know what I"m doing wrong. Also how much and when should you increase the voltage? every 10mhz or so? I know this all sounds really stupid to be asking, and I have read the stickies, but I still can't figure it out. I'm hoping someone with a gigabyte board can kind of tell me what settings I'm not changing or what I'm doing wrong.

The other question I had was that I know you guys are changing your memory timings and all that and their voltages, but how do I know what my maximum voltage the my memory can handle is? and where in the gigabyte BIOS can I find my timings and all that.

Any help is extremely appreciated, and I'm sorry for sounding so noobish.:eek:

EDIT: THe other thing I forgot to mention is my CPU voltage was running at 1.2 I believe, that was stock, I now have managed to keep it at 276mhz and running at 1.3v, says the BIOS and CPU-Z

I think the thing, thats keeping you down is your memory speed. With C2Ds, I usually see higher overclocks with DDR2 800.

Should I increase the divider so it is running at a higher frequency, while leaving the cpu frequency the same?

what kind of ram is it?
actually, if you raise the divider your ram will run at a lower speed.
you should raise the divider so that you can overclock your cpu farther without overclocking your ram so much, if at all.
i.e. keep your ram speed at or below stock speed (667?), especially if it is not made for overclocking (xms, g. skill, etc )

okay, you want to go to the maker of your ram's website(?) and find out what the required voltage is. maximum will be over that, and you will know when you reach it lol. careful with that ddr2 voltage...some like it, some dont.
you shouldn't have to up the voltage too much, from what i know. but ask a c2d person about that.

Thanks nagasama, I'm going to try overclocking tomorrow, its almost bed time haha. I will also be upgrading to DDR2 800 down the road as well. But not for a little while, because this is more than enough, maybe in a month or so I may.

If I can't get anymore than a .15ghz increase then I'm not even going to bother overclocking it, because it seems pretty much pointless because that is going to make little to no difference I would think.

but you can get more, even with ram that isnt the best.
if your ram runs at 667mhz, set the divider so it runs at 533.
that way you have the extra 134 mhz to overclock your ram and still be at stock speed = no problem. but your cpu is running way faster.
good luck!

Thanks nagasama, I still wish I knew what the deal with my video card is though.

Yeah, about my BFG 7900GS, it was in another thread, I didn't start it. I just mentioned about how I can barely get it overclocked as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom