lowering multiplier

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. It lowers the clockspeed (providing you're not upping the FSB in succession) and thus it generates less heat.

Phrantic said:
No. It lowers the clockspeed (providing you're not upping the FSB in succession) and thus it generates less heat.
No, it doesn't change the temperature at all. It lowers the clock speed and nothing else. Clock speed has VERY little effect on temperature. Voltage is what effects temperature.

But if you underclock, you can also undervolt, which would in turn make less heat.

oksy thanks for the input guys.
i guess it would actually (in the end) raise my temps because if i lower multiplier i increase fsb and therefore have to increase voltage.
i read something the other day that suggested that lower multis generated more heat which made no sense to me either. at least in the context of the article which basically said "lower multi, more heat."
like i say, don't believe everything you read.QQQQQQ

well, multipliers aren't really anything, it's all FSB. lower the multiplier, and up the FSB, even if its from 2.0 ghz stock fsb(lets say 200), and then 2.0 ghz 500 fsb (lol, dont expect that high) and 4 multipliers would run way faster.

nagasama said:
psp dont really understand your point..?
make some sense son

I didn't understand it either. :umm:

The multiplier is just there to configure your FSB in a different way. Like say stock speeds are 200MHz (fsb) x 10 (multiplier). That gets you to 2.0GHz. Now, you could buy DDR500 RAM (runs at 250MHz) and then drop your multi to x8 and you would then have:

250MHz (fsb) x 8 (multiplier) = 2.0GHz. Only now, your RAM is running a lot faster than it was.

I dunno if there was any confusion about what the multiplier was for...but that should clear any up.

oh i think i get what hes saying:

lets say my stock fsb was 200 x 11 = 2.0 ghz, then running 500 x 4 would be faster. yes it would be, but there is no way i can get my fsb that high.
for some reason i cant get it past 300 x9.
and right now i run it at 246 x 11
and that extra 54mhz cpu speed is not worth the extra heat from raising the voltage, plus my ram runs all wierd with a 9 multi.

You have to understand that by increasing the FSB, you are increasing your RAM as well. Now, if your RAM can handle the higher frequencies, then you should be alright. But if you have like DDR400 there's no way in **** it's going to run 300 x 9. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom