Motherboard will not sustain power (not PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelodicMoonlite

Beta member
I recently purchased Foxxconn's K7S741GXMG-6L Socket A Motherboard from Newegg.com. I installed all of my componets just fine with no problems however the computer shuts off at random times, sometimes after 30 seconds, somtimes after 5. It wont even let me get into the BIOS to save anything most of the time. I know that it is not the power supply as I have tried two; one 250 watt and one 450 watt and given the older hardware on the motherboard, I know that is sufficient power. I also know for a fact the power supplies function fine because I have tried them both in other computers through out all this, just to be sure. I was wondering if I could just replace the CMOS battery, or if this is a problem with the motherboard itself. I just want to know what else it could be if not the power supply or CMOS battery. I can't think of anything else that would cause the computer to just shut off on its own at random intervals. Could a faulty CMOS battery cause the computer to just lose power suddenly?

Just to be clear, this has nothing to do with viruses or windows problems. I wont even last long enough to load windows.

An odd thing though - It lists my memory as 492k with 32 bit shared memory when in reality, its a normal 512k stick. Perhaps that might help diagnose this?

Another odd thing - The BIOS settings SAVE. They are not forgotten, so that confuses me even more. As common sense tells me IF the CMOS battery were the culprit they would be lost when it powers down every time.

In my experience, when a motherboard has problems regulating voltage, it just wont turn on at all and if any thing on the motherboard does fail or if there are some hardware problems, it gives a series of "beeps". Mine does neither. It loads up with a positive "BEEP" and continues the POST, listing my IDE slaves and masters just fine. The only abnormality is that it lists the memory wrong. I have never experience any problems with a CMOS battery before so that is why my suspicions were on that at first. But with the setting saving and staying saved...I'm just at a loss.

Thank you very much for your time.

~Mark

Edit - I almost forgot to mention that I have tried reseating the RAM and that did not solve any of the problems. I also took out the CMOS battery for 30 seconds to reset it, which it did, however solved nothing.

Part of your RAM is used for something else like the integrated video card, so I wouldn't assume there's something wrong with your RAM capacity. Right now, how many hardware do you have going on in your system? I recommend you remove or disable any unnecessary hardware like cd/dvd drive, network card, extra hard drives, sound card and floppy drives. Leaving just the core components to boot into Windows and see if the problem occurs, this way you can isolate certain hardware easier and concentrate on which one might be causing it to turn of.

And no a CMOS battery wouldn't cause that kind of symptom, you would however lose your setting every time you shut off

Law said:
Part of your RAM is used for something else like the integrated video card, so I wouldn't assume there's something wrong with your RAM capacity. Right now, how many hardware do you have going on in your system? I recommend you remove or disable any unnecessary hardware like cd/dvd drive, network card, extra hard drives, sound card and floppy drives. Leaving just the core components to boot into Windows and see if the problem occurs, this way you can isolate certain hardware easier and concentrate on which one might be causing it to turn of.

And no a CMOS battery wouldn't cause that kind of symptom, you would however lose your setting every time you shut off

You're right about the RAM. I should have realised that when I took my video card out that it defaulted to the onboard video and therefore needed main RAM allocated to it. So RAMs ok

And I just got through doing what you suggested. The ONLY thing on the IDE bus is the Harddrive. There isnt anything else on any of the other pins, I dont even have the PSU connected to the CD drives and the floppy is completely out. I dont have a video or sound card in it either. And still after all that, after just sitting idle in the BIOS for a about 30 seconds, it turns off.

that really does sound like a ram or psu problem but youve proven its not the psu,, run a memtest to be sure, thats the only way to thouroughly test your ram

Unfortunately, I am unable to test the RAM as the other computer I have is newer and doesn't support DDR333, only DDR400. This is frustrating as I don't want to replace this motherboard only to find that it was the memory in the first place but on the other hand I don't really have the funds after Xmas to buy new ram either.

Thank you both very much :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom