Pc freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

artyman

Baseband Member
I don't know where to start here but I will do my best.

I am running winxp media edition, I have 2gb of ram and a pentium 3.4. The most important thing here is my graphics card. It is an nvidia 6600 gt which I bought and installed about 2 month ago. I have the latest drivers for the card and I also have windows updated fully.
It all started about 2 weeks ago, when I boot up, almost every time I have to press the reset button because I get weird flashing symbols on my flat screen monitor. So I was thinking maybe it was the monitor..... but, I scanned 150 photos for a friend of mine so I could make a slideshow dvd for him. They scanned in ok. I opened paint shop pro to edit the photos and everything went fine. After a few days I decided to start putting together the show with Pro Show Producer. When I chose the folder the thumbnails were showing up to about no.40 then it suddenly stopped. The pc froze and I couldn't even alt/ctrl/del out of it. I thought the program had a bug. I had to reset the pc, went back into paint shop pro and went to open the photos, the same thing happened again. I backed up all my stuff and reinstalled windows from scratch, installed my software, but the same thing happened again. I can't be certain but I think this could be a faulty graphics card. I will also mention that it seemed to be the same photos every time. I ran the chkdsk but that seemed to be fine.

I am stuck, I don't have a spare pci card so I can't check to see if it is that.....
Oh yes, almosst forgot to say I had the blue screen of death a couple of times when trying to view the folder with the photos.

Any help would be apreciated.
THANKYOU

You're not overclocking your system right? It could be many things that could cause your computer to randomly crash. Overheating, loose component, bad RAM, bad video card.

If this just happen when you added the video card, than I would assume that is the case.

Does event viewer show any error?

Thankyou very much for your reply.

What is event error?
No I am not overclocking.
Checked components don't think its that.

Just tried again with pro show producer, it freezes on loading thumbnails.

In paintshop pro I can see the thumbnails but this also freezes when trying to open some of the jpegs, yet only yesterday I opened each of the photos in psp and resaved???

And yes it is since I got this card, I have been searching the web and found lots of complaints about the card, for instance 'monitor just goes blank on some games although I have not had that problem yet, exept this afternoon i was playing a small game and that froze..... yet again I had to reset pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom