Failure to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShackledPhoenix

In Runtime
Okay here's a fun one. I'm working on a PC, it won't boot to windows normally it will only boot into safe mode.

Here's the kicker though.

It also won't boot into anything else including DFT, UBCD, or MiniPe. I got memtest going which tested fine. Going to try a few other boot disks I have, and am waiting for a copy of PC Doc. I've also checked the bios and even resetted it, no help there.

The system is an Asus K8n neo4 Motherboard, Athlon X2, Graphics Card unknown (Can't check it right this second) 1024 MB of PC3200 RAM, twin 300 GB WD Hard Drives (no Raid). Anyone got any ideas?

I read somewhere if you overclock your computer to much and you cant even get the setup screen, and you get the black screen of death you can unplug you battery completely then plug the battery back in it fixes it, so maybe that could work for your particular problem as well, because it resets all the setup and stuff.

I have seen where overclocking corrupts windows to the point where booting normally doesnt work but safe mode does. Also selecting boot windows normally or last configuration that works might make a difference. I remember also my nvidia drivers messed up windows so I had to go into safe mod, uninstall drivers, boot into safe mode, install new drivers, and then boot into windows which worked.

No OCing has been done to this system, and it's not just windows me thinks, because most of my bootable discs won't work either.

I'm currently waiting for the guy to bring me his copy of XP pro so I can do a repair install of windows. I only have a copy of home and it won't let me do a repair install.

Everytime it loads into windows it runs a checkdisk and then restarts. It's not finding anything wrong with the disks, and a checkdisk with repair console tested fine. I wanna run Drive tests, but it won't friggen boot into any of them -.-
I'm suspecting something to do with the SATA controller on the board, but I can't boot anything to test it, and I don't have the hardware to swap the parts and see if that fixes it.

I'm hoping to see what a repair install of windows does, but even if that works, I wanna know why it's not booting UBCD, DFT, or MiniPE. I refuse to do a half *** job on PCs and this one is driving me mad.

Have you tried changing out your CDROM/floppy or IDE/SATA/FDD cables (whatever you are using)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom