Volt Modding gone bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
I currently own a 7900 GS and wanted to go past 1.55v. I asked my friend who had done this to his card and gave me a picture of what to do. I started with removing a resistor and putting a 50k ohm variable resistor and then removing two more. Stupid me forgot to get rid of the conductive pen mods I had on it and booted up but, it worked so I noticed that and quickly shut it off. I then used acetone to clean it off and went to turn it on and the mobo doesnt beep like it normally does and theres no pciture. I then look on the board where I did my soldering and I had messed up a little bit and could tell a smaller resistor I guess had partially melted and it was a bit of a mess. I un soldered what I had previously done and cleaned the area till it looked as good as new and tried the soldering again. This time it was much better and looked as if an expert had done it. I then checked the places where I took other resistors out and those looked good too. I tried to turn it on again and the same problem. I then did my conductive pen mod again since it worked like that and nothing. Now for some reason theres no beep or picture but the lights on the keyboard flash. I hope when I send this in for an rma, they accept it. Do I need a cooler on there at all or do I need the stock cooler on it and you think they will notice what I did even if I clean it up real good?

Point and laugh at me, call me a noob, w/e. I dont care. All that matters to me is if I can get my card replaced and try this again. If it matters it turns out the mod is really for a 7900 GTX according to some other tech sites but I know how the 7900 GS, GT, and GTX use the same pcb.

You is fecked... if they notice they'll return the card to you pointing and laughing, and there's a good chance they will.

On the chance they don't notice and get you a new card, I suggest NOT attempting the same thing, atleast not until the card ya know, actually NEEDS the OC.

And if you do it anyways, yeah get a better cooler on it, as more power = more heat = sooner dead card.

If you're asking if you need to put the stock back on to return it, yeah you do.

For actual use though, yar that zalman is awesome. Fix the card? not likely, sounds like you pretty well toasted it. I'm horrible at component level repairs though, so I can't tell you for sure. Try the return first, you just might get lucky and get a new one. Worst they'll do is send it back.

eVGA has unconditional lifetime warranty on their high end cards. Check their site, chances are it is still covered under warranty.

Well my stock cooler is missing some parts for some reason. My dad said not to worry about it but I was because I spent the last of my money on a new monitor, ram, and cpu so he offered to buy me a new card for my birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom