Should you overclock the memory when you do the CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Space_Coyote

In Runtime
All I've done so far is change the FSB on the CPU from 133 MHz to 143 MHZ (I know :D ) and it seems fine and gives me around 100 more points in 3d-mark 03.

Before I go further, should I mess with the memory too? As you can read I'm a noob, but I'm just trying to squeeze a few more weeks out of this dinosaur.

Abit AT7
Athlon 1800
XFX 6800 XT
512 MB Corsair XMS
512 MB Kingston

what speed is stock for your ram?
and it depends on the divider/ram speed and a lot of other things when you are ocing an amd.
you can just keep bumping it up, but it would be better to have more of an idea of how it works. and you will get a better, higher, and more stable overclock.

unitl it wont boot. lol that is your stability test? Get a program called prime95. and run it after every increase you make in the fsb. I mean like start it when you head to bed and check on it later the next day when you get home from school or work or whatever you do. :) It should still be going if your system is stable. If it says it crapped out in like 2 or 3 hours then you need to change something.

:D

nagasama said:
what speed is stock for your ram?
and it depends on the divider/ram speed and a lot of other things when you are ocing an amd.
you can just keep bumping it up, but it would be better to have more of an idea of how it works. and you will get a better, higher, and more stable overclock.

PC2700

so it's 333mhz.
and if you can put in a divider to make it 266mhz(pc 2100), then you may be able to overclock, gives you 77 mhz to play with on the ram.
i dont know man...you can try to overclock the ram, (ie raising the cpu clock and nothing else) , but you aren't gonna get much out of it i fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom