Got Cool N Quiet working...but it's not quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disillusion

Daemon Poster
Isn't Cool N Quiet supposed to reduce fan speed as well as reducing clock speed & voltage? It's reducing the clock speed and voltage fine, but my fan is still spinning at the same RPMs. Is this possibly a motherboard issue? Maybe my mobo doesn't support slowing the fan speeds?

well usually fans are just made like that, but if ur CPU is heating up too fast, ur fan tries to keep up with the temperature when its hot.

u can try cleaning out ur heatsink and ur fan(s) from dust and u try lubing the fan(s) also (unless u got the fan manufactured loud)

When was the last time u changed ur thermal paste?

sylwek said:
well usually fans are just made like that, but if ur CPU is heating up too fast, ur fan tries to keep up with the temperature when its hot.

u can try cleaning out ur heatsink and ur fan(s) from dust and u try lubing the fan(s) also (unless u got the fan manufactured loud)

When was the last time u changed ur thermal paste?
My temps are fine, there's no problem there. It's idling at about 30 degrees right now, but the fan speed never chages. The motherboard should reduce voltage to the fan to make it spin slower when the CPU is at idle, but it's not doing anything. I thought that all motherboards that supported Cool N Quiet, would slow the fan speed. Hence the name "Quiet".

sounds to me like ur fan was made loud, well ur stuck with it because my Cpu fan isnt loud BUT the RPM NEVER changes it always runs to 3000RPM on idle and full load so i dont know wat goin on either

If its not reducing the cpu speed or voltage then make sure you have the driver installed and then goto your power options and select "Minimal Power Management" from the Power Schemes menu if you havent already done so.

sylwek said:
sounds to me like ur fan was made loud, well ur stuck with it because my Cpu fan isnt loud BUT the RPM NEVER changes it always runs to 3000RPM on idle and full load so i dont know wat goin on either
The type of fan shouldn't matter. The motherboard should reduce power output to the fan to make it spin slower, but it's not.

AMDSCOrPiO said:
If its not reducing the cpu speed or voltage then make sure you have the driver installed and then goto your power options and select "Minimal Power Management" from the Power Schemes menu if you havent already done so.
Yes, I have done that and the CPU is dropping down in clock speed and voltage just like it should. Only thing is, the fan doesn't slow down.

AMDSCOrPiO said:

-_- we're not talking about the cpu we're talking about the fan speed, my cpu does reduce power on idle.

sylwek said:
-_- we're not talking about the cpu we're talking about the fan speed, my cpu does reduce power on idle.

amd cpu's that have the cool n quiet feature do reduce clock speed and voltage during idle periods, if it is enabled and you are not overclocked.
thats why the fan can run slower and the cpu does not produce more heat.
speaking of disillusion, do you have it overclocked?
if not, do you have a section in your bios called power management and does cool n quiet show up there?
if you are overclocked it may still show it enabled, but it really isnt.
it will not work (at least on my mobo) once your change clock settings from "default" to "user define".

EDIT: i see in your sig that it is overclocked a little.
i dont think it should be working but you say the clock and voltage adjust at idle?
if that's the case are you having stability issues with the overclock?

Overclocking (by the FSB) does not effect Cool N Quiet on my motherboard. When you start messing with voltages, that could start causing problems though.

Cool N Quiet works exactly like Intel's SpeedStep. Both methods reduce the clock speed by lowering the multiplier and reduce voltage as the lower clock speed doesn't need as much voltage to run. Overclocking the FSB should have no effect with either method.

Cool N Quiet is still working on mine, regardless the fact that I overclocked it by FSB.

I do have the newest BIOS out for my mobo and I have no fan control through the BIOS. I'm just going to guess that my motherboard doesn't support lowering the fan speed even though it says it does on their website.

http://www.epox.com.tw/eng/products_feature.php?serno=6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom