PSU Can't Handle Slight Overclock, It Should!

Status
Not open for further replies.

westy159

In Runtime
For a year I had a 425-watt PSU from a company named Hiper. I had to get a new one after it broke so I picked up a Antec Earthwatts 430-Watt PSU which sounded more reliable simply from the "Antec" name.

My usual video card settings on my Geforce 6800XT 128mb are 4 pixel pipelines unlocked to total 12; 2 vertex processors unlocked totaling 6; a 25Mhz core clock increase equaling 350Mhz and a 100Mhz memory clock increase to equal 800Mhz. My old PSU could handle this without a problem, yet my new and what I thought was slightly more powerful PSU can not go any further than the original memory clcok frequency to stay stable, it handles the rest well but on my desired settings the computer will crash.

I understand that the rails on the PSU are important (BTW the graphics card is on its seperate rail) although I have no idea what it actaully means. here are the numbers:

+5V [20A] ¦ +3.3V [20A] ¦ +12V(1) [17A] ¦
+12V(2) [17A] ¦ -12V [0.8A] ¦ +5VSB [2.5A]

If anyone spots a hitch in the data there or has an idea please share it as the small increase does make a notable difference in my games.

Got the numbers from your old PSU? The Voltages should be same, but the amps will be different and that's likely your problem. The new one may be putting out more, but along the wrong rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom