Finally ordering C2D setup today....need opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow guys...thanks for all your input on overclocking stability. I'll post up pics and overclocking results, when I get this baby running. I'm so excited, because finally I'm caught up with the pack....well maybe not in the graphic card field, but I've always been behind a couple of years. I am planning on doing prime95....lol....dunno if I can keep away from my new computer for more than 12 hrs. But right now, I'm always, constantly running F@H on my overclocked 3700+...everyday, always overnight....and nothing happens. So is F@H everyday, every night enough for stabiliy? The only time I, turn it off during gaming for an hr or two, and then I just turn it back on.

F@H is a nice continuous program, but its not as stressful as it needs to be to qualify for a stability test. Just use Prime95, SP2004, OCCT, Orthos, etc as stability tests. Make sure to look in Task Manager to make sure that your CPU (and memory) are at 100%. If not, then try another program, or run more than one at the same time.

Oh, but I only see the percentage being used for CPU, where is memory percentage in Task Manager. And also what about my previous post, about the ramsinks?

The available memory under "Physical Memory (K)" should be almost all gone. I'm usually left with around 5-10MB (5000-10000KB) of memory during stress tests.

Now that I think about it though, its not necessary for your PC to go up to 100% for it to be stressed. Infact, for the most part, my CPU stays around 30%-50% load. During the course of the test, the usage will go up to 100%, but unlike memory, I don't believe that the CPU needs to be at 100% for it to be stressed. Just look at the temps, even at low percentages, they skyrocket.

OK, thanks. I'll report back when I get my C2D setup running.

I have another question, on the motherboard, I just ordered. I noticed that the southbridge doesn't have any thing cooling it, or no heatsink. So I was wondering if this would work, putting it on the southbridge chipset:
http://www.xoxide.com/ramsink1.html

Oh crap, sorry, I meant to address that but kept forgetting in both of my posts, lol. Don't worry about the Southbridge, its not meant to be stressed and won't need to be cooled. Its the Northbridge that needs cooling in Intel systems because that's basically where the FSB is located.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom