Upgrade my pc or overclock? I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehspamninja

Solid State Member
i recently got a new mobo and processor from a guy and the deal tempted me because the mobo had 4 RAM slots and my old one had 2. my old processor was a 2.93ghz celeron D, also >.<

my new processor is an AMD Athlo 64 venice 3000+, running at stock 1.8ghz.

this is my mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131569

I have heard of people overclocking my processor a lot but I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but my processor isn't up to my expectations, so what should i do? a few people are telling me to overclock, and I have a pretty high technical experience level with computers but have never overclocked before, could someone explain to me what I need to do (I think it has something to do with messing with settings in the BIOS)

yeah, generally people overclock through the BIOS (though it is possible through software i don't reccomend it) those Venice 3000+'s seem to average about 2.5-2.7GHz without too much trouble. you should get 400-500MHz extra on the stock cooler would be my guess.

i'm sorry, i say this to everyone. i'm not going to teach you to overclock and most people here won't either. it's just too hard to cram all the information into a post, especially when it's been attempted hundreds of times around the net. so my advice is check out some of the information in this forum (there are a couple of guides above) and do some googling. we are here to answer your questions once you know a thing or two :)

edit: thread moved to overclocking

I've heard overclocking faster pc's today isn't worth it. You risk destroying your processor and more for the hope of adding performance that basically you won't see. Sure you will process info faster, but can your harddrive fetch it that fast. Overclocking I believe though I'm not an expert was better in the day of taking a P3 600mHz to 1.3Ghz, where the performance enhancement was tremendous! I guess you must ask yourself is another 5fps is worth it! :eek:

i suggest you start with reading this and this first before attempting any thing.

I'm also running the same cpu as you are and as nitestick said they can average 2.5 easy in most case's,I've had mine to 2.6Ghz so far no problem but bumped it back down due to my lack of ram (512mb pc-2700) :(

shumway, does it depend on the motherboard and everything all that much to overclock? and the memory too? If you could help me understand how to safely do this, could you please IM me on aim at tehspamninja, as forums are kind of slow.

I'm not the one for teaching sorry,But yes it depend's on the mobo and mem,If you don't have half decent stuff you won't get a decent oc ;) All i can suggest is to read read and then read some more on the subject,If you don't understand what you are doing you can end up screwing something :(

alright, hopefully i can squeeze some extra performance out of this processor before i buy another. Do you know if my motherboard is any good or if it would be a good idea to upgrade if i upgrade the processor??

GreenMachine said:
I've heard overclocking faster pc's today isn't worth it. You risk destroying your processor and more for the hope of adding performance that basically you won't see. Sure you will process info faster, but can your harddrive fetch it that fast. Overclocking I believe though I'm not an expert was better in the day of taking a P3 600mHz to 1.3Ghz, where the performance enhancement was tremendous! I guess you must ask yourself is another 5fps is worth it! :eek:

dude you would have to be (and i'm serious here) a total retard to destroy your processor while overclocking. and yes, your harddrive can fetch it that fast, especially if you have a 10k rpm.

my apologies to any retards i have offended.

what do i have to do with my RAM in this? could i determine the timings of my ram with something like CPU-Z and tell you guys and give me some information on what to do with it? i don't really see how RAM fits in to overclocking, i just understand raising the multiplier and the FSB via the bios, and maybe the voltage if it needs it >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom